Rear axle

Asked by Jun 18, 2017 at 04:07 PM about the 2009 Ford Mustang V6 Convertible

I have a v6 mustang 2009. I lost control of my car
and it did a 180 degree turn and it hit the right rear
side of the tire on the curb. It broke the rim. I put a
spare on it  and now its wobbling I don't fill it
wobbling until I press breaks. Also  Some type of oil
is leaking from the rear right brea could I've messed
up my whole rear axle?

74,095

Have it inspected. You probably bent or broke something in the suspension or axle. The leak is probably gear oil which means the axle seal is damaged.

74,095

The solution is probably just to buy a used axle assembly and have it installed.

It's only on one side. Do I have to buy the other end too? If so how much I'm I looking at price wise? And how long can I drive on it knowing I have a bad axle?

Is it a way I can avoid buying the whole thing and only buy the part I need?

74,095

The rear axle is an assembly. A used one should not be more than a couple of hundred bucks if that. The cost to fix yours would be far higher I think. This is a project that an amateur can do in their driveway. I would not continue to drive it as it could be dangerous depending on what is damaged. What if a tire fell off?

74,095

Jack it up, take the wheel off and inspect things for a start.

50,735

Have it checked out, but likely you just bent the axle on the side that hit the curb.

17,725

The axle shaft has a wheel mounting hub built on it which is likely bent this shaft is removable it has a axle shaft seal, bearing & lock C-clip. The whole differential does not need to be replaced or removed to change the axle shaft out, you will need the axle, seal, bearing, & likely the c-clip as I would replace it either way (c-clips are cheap insurance). The whole rear diff should be fine other than the mounting areas need inspected for issues, but the axle inside the diff which is replaceable is bent, it would take a huge blow to bend the entire diff tubes that hold the axle. You can take yours out so you know how to and go to a junk yard and pull one yourself from a diff unit and then buy the seal, bearing, & c-clip on the way back to fix yours.

17,725

This is what you need besides the seal, bearing & c-clip. Look at it before picture is took down by site.

50,735

This person very likely doesn't know what a C-clip is and it's function.

17,725

Once they see it I would hope they also see the function of it, The c-clip may have been damaged too and it holds the axle shaft in the diff's axle housing, the seal holds the gear oil in the housing and the bearing goes in to allow the axle to spin without grinding away at the housing. It is very easy to do, with parts in hand its a 30-45 minute job, wheels back on the ground ready drive. I would see if there is any youtube videos to watch. If they cannot do this then they would never be able to replace the entire diff.

17,725

Th longest part doing this is putting the brake parts back on and if your doing this for the first time it will take longer and I would plan on a day to pull yours out and go to junk yard and back to reassembly.

17,725

Do not forget to refill afterwards. The c-clip is in there too so rear diff cover has to be removed. The tools can be rented from auto parts stores.

17,725

80/90 synthetic gear oil.

17,725

C-clip

17,725

Like F_O_R said if your buying new parts a used diff unit may be cheaper as a new axle shaft is around $200-300+ depending on ABS or not with after-market suppliers so OEM has to higher, but used junk yard axle which should be fine to use will be the cheapest way.

I keep calling the auto part store. They are no help at all. I don't know what exact parts to order

17,725

Watch these video's copy & paste to new browser window, one is the seal & bearings and the other is axle shafts & spider gears. The main thing is to pull yours and take it to the store/junk yard with you to get the correct parts, Yours is either the 7.5 or 8.8 differential. I will post the url's to the video's below.

17,725

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXEqzMVRRso

17,725

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnZc7Dbn-Vk

17,725

This is for 98 model but its basically the same.

17,725

You do not have to remove the spider gears to replace the axle but its good to know how to and re-install them in-case the move out of position and this video shows how to inspect them to know if you need a new set of spiders.

Ok

74,095

Don't order any parts until you find what is wrong. If you replace the axle be sure and find the axle code so that you get the correct one. I would worry about the impact on the axle damaging the differential which is why I recommended installed a used axle assembly.

17,725

Have a shop look at rear end attachment points for bends or breaks. You may not think so but this is a safety issue. Hitting the rear end as you did could of done major to minor damage to the frame or rear end mounting along with the bent axle you should not be driving this around. Did the body take a hit too?

74,095

I think our friend here really needs to have a professional look at his car.

17,725

I thinking the same. Rubinc561 never said if it was a 10, 20, 80 mph curb hit and does not sound like he know too much, I try to think or hope if they ask then they may have a clue but sounds like the best clue I can give is go to shop for repairs and stop driving like a stunt man.

17,725

Hey, one time I wrecked so bad I could not fix my car. I hit a patch of trees so hard you would of thought I fell out the bottom of the car, One second I was sitting in the drivers seat hitting the trees the next second I was sitting on the ground watching the car climb the two trees in front of me, swivel around those trees about 15-20ft off the ground, went flying threw the air hit the ground flipped at least 4-5 times up to light pole and it climbed up it about 8ft, swivel around it landed on its top and slide 40+ feet. The folks that heard it ran out to the car to help me and I walked up, stood next to them and they said we can not find anyone. I said that is because I am right here. There still is pieces of car parts out there. It was in so many pieces. I had a 1 inch thick stick hanging out my face just below my lower jaw. I had a 1 1/2- 2 inch sorta round hole in my arm about 1/2 inch deep. My pelvis was so turned out of place it took 10 years of chiropractor work to get it back right and stay there. I do believe God and his angels saved my butt. Oh yea it was high speed & all My fault, I knew my front shock was bad (tire/wheel started bouncing which lead me off the road) so the reason for this note is to say if its broke do not be driving it or driving it like its not broken.

74,095

A mechanic I know had his Subaru rear differential lock up which caused the car to spin out and end up in a ditch. A damaged rear axle is no laughing matter.

17,725

Very little time to react. I let go of the steering wheel about 30ft from the trees as I did not want my hands/arms going threw the dash I had no seat belt on and said out loud "Oh Dear God. Next thing I know I am sitting on the ground watching it wreck just so happen to be in approx same area or place I said that.