After how many miles shoud the transmission fluid in a 2009 4 cyl chevy malibu be changed?

Asked by Oct 13, 2012 at 06:16 AM about the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS

After how many miles shoud the transmission fluid in a 2009 4 cyl chevy malibu be changed? Also all fluids used in 2009 chevy malibu 4 cyl ls

9,045

GM recommends changing that (from new), every other oil change to keep it fresh...NO ONE, i mean no one not even the technicians do that....how many miles are on it now, over 60,000 i suggest only if it is slipping on occasion, shows signs, below 60, every 10,000 or so miles, 100+ NEVER!!!!! that far along only add oil, never change it, NEVER EVER FLUSH IT....every shop in the world will recommend a flush, (because they know in 2 months you will be back for a transmission)....

I must agree with John about nobody actually changing the tranny fluid every other oil change, with the exception of non car-knowledgeable people (Notice I don't say stupid or anything derogatory, you may be a doctor or whatever and just don't know cars) that do everything the oil change joints 'recommend' because they (the car owner) can afford it and simply don't know better.

11,165

trans fluid is recommended to be changed under normal driving conditions every 50k miles (with filter). flushiing can kick up debris that has settled to the bottom. If you are not sure, the fluid should look pinkish red, not brownish, and should not smell burnt. I hope this helps.

4,255

Hello Jsomario, GM recommends changing automatic transmission fluid every 50,000 miles. Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (except 6-speed) if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions: − In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher. − In hilly or mountainous terrain. − When doing frequent trailer towing. − Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery service. This information is available in your Owner's Manual pg. 6-6. Good luck with your vehicle. Vanessa GM Customer Service

90

I have a 2011 Chevy Aveo and it is 52,000 miles on it. I need to have a transmission oil change and is is o:k to change it now. I think it is due for one. Please let me know, I will try to do it asap as I do not have the money till next week. bgarabedian2010@yahoo.com

40

NEVER EVER EVER!! agree to do a Transmission Flush unless you have done so since the car was brand new on a regular bases; but the best rule to go by is just like John said. Dont flush it because it WILL stur up debris and cause more damage then solutions; and you run the risk of your car not starting anymore soon after the flush has been completed. True story it happened to a local shop I go to and they will never again agree to complete a flush; in fact they got rid of there flush machine.

370

I actually need advice, I just got a transmissin flush on my 09 malibu its a 4 cylinder, after the flush I went for a trip I drove about 45 miles and the transmission light came on and it started to bog out, now it wont go in reverse I cant go over 35 miles an hour. The car only has just a little over 80,000 miles. I got the change done at jiffy lube. What can be causing the problem? Is it there fault?

370

You can email me at, georgeperez8383.gp@gmail.com

525

Azarias- flushing will many times kill a transmission. It breaks up contaminants in the periphery of the torque converter that's should never be messed with. That debris has been caught in a very powerful centrifuge that does a very good job of protecting your transmission. I've seen cars not make it out of the shop driveway after a flush. To service a unit correctly -just drop the pan, change the filter and observe what you see in the pan. And remember this---- SERVICING WILL NOT REPAIR A BAD TRANSMISSION. Changing the fluid's for MAINTENANCE ONLY.

40

A drain and fill will change ~40% of the fluid but will not change the fluid trapped in the torque converter. After a drain and flush the ~60% dirty fluid is diluted with ~40% clean fluid throughout the entire transmission. So all your fluid is 40% cleaner, even that circulated through the torque converted. . A flush just taps into the transmission lines going to and from the cooler and returns fresh fluid to replace the dirty fluid pumped out of the transmission and replaces 100% of the fluid. So the flush just replaces more fluid and means the transmission now has 100% clean fluid. There is a you-tube video that clears up many of these myths. If your clutches are not burnt and you don't have sludge built up, neither a drain/fill or flush will do any harm. If you are changing fluid because you are having transmission problems, cleaner fluid may cause slipping clutches to slip more and cause gunk in hydraulic passages to break free and clog something down stream. I assume that 100% clean fluid will amplify these problems more than 40% cleaner fluid. So if you let the fluid get to a point where the transmission itself is damaged, changing it probably won't help and may even make the condition worst.

2015 silverado with 41000kms burn and brown fluid, service adviser told me thats normal not to worry. I left it there for a mechanic to look at.

10

I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu with 103,000 miles. I have no knowledge if the transmission fluid has ever been changed prior to me owning it and I have not changed it since I got it. My car is bogging down and the check engine light comes on intermittently. I have an OBDII code reader which is giving me a code of P0010. I was told to change my oil and transmission fluid to see if the issue goes away before taking it to a mechanic. After reading some of these posts, I am afraid to do anything with the transmission. Should I just take it a mechanic or am I on the right track?