After how many miles shoud the transmission fluid in a 2009 4 cyl chevy malibu be changed?

Asked by Oct 13, 2012 at 06:16 AM about the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS

After how many miles shoud the transmission fluid in a 2009 4 cyl chevy malibu be changed? Also all fluids used in 2009 chevy malibu 4 cyl ls

John Leone

GM recommends changing that (from new), every other oil change to keep it fresh...NO ONE, i mean no one not even the technicians do many miles are on it now, over 60,000 i suggest only if it is slipping on occasion, shows signs, below 60, every 10,000 or so miles, 100+ NEVER!!!!! that far along only add oil, never change it, NEVER EVER FLUSH IT....every shop in the world will recommend a flush, (because they know in 2 months you will be back for a transmission)....

I must agree with John about nobody actually changing the tranny fluid every other oil change, with the exception of non car-knowledgeable people (Notice I don't say stupid or anything derogatory, you may be a doctor or whatever and just don't know cars) that do everything the oil change joints 'recommend' because they (the car owner) can afford it and simply don't know better.

Richard Schroer

trans fluid is recommended to be changed under normal driving conditions every 50k miles (with filter). flushiing can kick up debris that has settled to the bottom. If you are not sure, the fluid should look pinkish red, not brownish, and should not smell burnt. I hope this helps.

Hello Jsomario, GM recommends changing automatic transmission fluid every 50,000 miles. Change automatic transmission fluid and filter (except 6-speed) if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions: − In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher. − In hilly or mountainous terrain. − When doing frequent trailer towing. − Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery service. This information is available in your Owner's Manual pg. 6-6. Good luck with your vehicle. Vanessa GM Customer Service

I have a 2011 Chevy Aveo and it is 52,000 miles on it. I need to have a transmission oil change and is is o:k to change it now. I think it is due for one. Please let me know, I will try to do it asap as I do not have the money till next week.

NEVER EVER EVER!! agree to do a Transmission Flush unless you have done so since the car was brand new on a regular bases; but the best rule to go by is just like John said. Dont flush it because it WILL stur up debris and cause more damage then solutions; and you run the risk of your car not starting anymore soon after the flush has been completed. True story it happened to a local shop I go to and they will never again agree to complete a flush; in fact they got rid of there flush machine.

I actually need advice, I just got a transmissin flush on my 09 malibu its a 4 cylinder, after the flush I went for a trip I drove about 45 miles and the transmission light came on and it started to bog out, now it wont go in reverse I cant go over 35 miles an hour. The car only has just a little over 80,000 miles. I got the change done at jiffy lube. What can be causing the problem? Is it there fault?

You can email me at,

Azarias- flushing will many times kill a transmission. It breaks up contaminants in the periphery of the torque converter that's should never be messed with. That debris has been caught in a very powerful centrifuge that does a very good job of protecting your transmission. I've seen cars not make it out of the shop driveway after a flush. To service a unit correctly -just drop the pan, change the filter and observe what you see in the pan. And remember this---- SERVICING WILL NOT REPAIR A BAD TRANSMISSION. Changing the fluid's for MAINTENANCE ONLY.