09 Cobalt-Front-end...

Adam Johnson

Asked by May 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM about the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT2 Coupe

So, here is the low down of whats going on... I have a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT2 Coupe... I have taken it to my local dealer to have the front end looked at MULTIPLE times due to an unexplained noise... Every time I go they say, "This car is almost brand new, nothing can be broken on it." So, the noise is still there from the last time I went and now i have a new noise... Sometimes when the front-end is under pressure, Example: Backing out a driveway with a hump at the end, with the wheels turned...I get this loud POP! So, the old noise, thumping while driving and random grinding, plus this popping noise while under pressure cannot be good... Any ideas what I can tell the GM people to inspect???? Please, and thanks for all the help if u contribute...

Matt Tuccillo

as a cobalt owner and a gm tech i can tell you that the steering intermediate shaft is a common source of noise on these. not a safety issue however. whenever you make a part that is meant to flex in different directions frequently it will develop some play after time and that could be what your hearing. i dont know your driving habits or the condition of the roads in your area but its also quite possible that your control arm busgings may be worn. that would give you a clunk/pop or random vibrating noise over small bumps. seeing as how the car is fairly new thats most likely not a sefety issue but if it was allowwed to get worse it could be later on down the line. hope that helps.

Adam Johnson

Thanks for the info. I took it into the dealer and found out the "road noise" was from the tires.. I confirmed this by having them put a set of tires from another cobalt on the lot and the noise went away... As for the popping sound, they inspected the entire front suspension and could not see any issues... I took the technician for a drive to recreate the noise, but no such luck... On the plus side, the dealer informed me that even after the bumper-to-bumper warranty was up, they would fix any problems in the front suspension since I had the concern before the warranty expired. Very nice to see them do this... So, once again thanks for info!

I have the same popping noise. I have had them look at my vehicle for over a year now. I've contacted GM. They have replaced my steering column twice and looked over everything. Still I have the same issue. It pops when I backup and turn at the same time and when I pull into parking spots or have to turn slowly. My car is still under warranty and I am still making payment. I've never had so many issues with a vehicle.

I had the same prob with noise when turning out of a drive way, I took my 2009 cobalt to dealer and it was a recall on the steering column, they replaced part, noise went away, but now I have a new noise when hit a bump, sounds like it is coming from steering column again.

Matt Tuccillo

Ive seen a few cases where it was a bad upper strut mount and went thru a few techs before the problem was found. if that is the case, i wouldnt really call it a problem. you have to realize with all the moving parts in a vehicle some noise is acceptable.

I have a 2007 Cobalt. It has had the front end noise since I bought it and they have replaced the control arms, brakes, struts, alignment, tires and on and on!! They have said they hear the nioise and dont want to take any more of my money because they dont know what it is!!! I have had no help from anyone. I have paid out of pocket in the thousands..They really should do a recall on this car! They have had several of them but nothing that has helped my problem.

I too have a 2007 Cobalt and the noises coming from the front end seem the same as described above. Chevy dealer cannot find anything, and I took it to two local garages. Everyone says they have fixed it but the noise is still there. The control arms, struts, brakes, rear shocks, have been replaced. Why cant anyone fix this car?

Roe Berto

Could it be the front fenders, bumber panels or headlamp housing and body panels grinding together when flexing? They are so close and tight that it could be a metal on metal or plastic pinching or binding when turning. Could that make a sound like this?

if not the control arms,brakes,rear shocks or what ever. why don't you try to check the sway bar links maybe it worn out because it happen to my 2000 Malibu and I change rear shocks even the pads and still there until I check the sway bar and the bushings are already gone so I replace it and the noise was gone. hope that helps

Kenneth Horanic

I've had same issue 2008 cobalt anti sway bar end links

Jesse Taylor

I have a 2007 Cobalt LT Coupe and honestly it's the biggest POS I've ever owned! I swear by GM but cobalt are a huge problem just as cavaliers were. I have all kinds of noise in the front end and I've replaced the stabilizer links, struts, upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer tie rods, all bushings, every part of the braking system, control arms etc and the noises and vibrations went away for all of 2 days! I went and bought 4 new tires and that took alot of the issues away as I didn't realize my front tires had good tread but the structure of them was bad and that caused a ton of vibration driving. I'm leaning towards replacing the intermediate shaft since I have loud popping when I move the wheel back and forth rapidly. I'll write my results when I get that done. Happy New Year everybody and hope your Cobalt issues pan out!

I have a 2007 Cobalt, same thing everyone else is experiencing. I am up to about $800, noise still there. I took it to Chevy, 2 private repair shops and even a body shop. I agree, the noise is so bad, why can't the experts find it??

Bella Noelle

I have a 2008 Cobalt and I loud grinding and vibration issues. It does it when I'm accelerating and when I'm braking?? I've changed my front brakes several times, got my roaders changed etc. I still cant figure out why my car makes this loud grinding sound and has LOTS of vibration in the wheel and pedal.