Engine turns over but it will not start.

10

Asked by Sep 19, 2016 at 05:29 PM about the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT1

I just replaced my battery today in my 09 chevy
cobalt when I got home the car stalled in my
driveway I cleaned the throttle body and mass air
flow sensor also disconnected the battery and
tried tapping the fuel filter I also tried spraying a
little gas in the throttle body and still the same
results it just turns over but will not start. Can
anyone help with this I really need it for work I
already had to call in today

10

And I also checked all the fuses

28,065

why did you replace it??? and it started after you replaced it...it got you home then it stalled and wouldnt fire up again...correct???

10

I replaced the battery because if it stayed parked for more than about 12 hours the battery would be dead. I went to autozone an installed the new battery in the parking lot then drove home. When I got to my driveway and slowed down the car started sputtering real bad and stalled. It just turns over but will not crank

21,095

I would have the alternator tested, if battery is drained all the time. Look for bad or corroded wires from those and check the ground wire block to frame, battery to ground for connection loose or burned wires there or elsewhere.

10

I checked the wires on the battery they all seem fine. But now it won't even turn over I turn the key to try an start it but it does nothing no clicks or any responses from engine. When I turn the key to acc everything comes on but when I turn it to try to crank it everything goes off. And it isn't saying my battery is low.

10

The only lights that are showing up is airbag seat belt low ture pressure and traction control. No check engine light is on

21,095

Check or replace those terminal wires all the way to the starter and all grounds all the way. Not just at the battery.

10

I got it to start turning over again. But still won't starring getting fuel I can smell it when I turn it over and there's full when u check the valve

21,095

If you smell fuel I would think it is getting fuel but is not firing maybe. Did you check the fuse's. How or whet did you use to clean the MAF?

10

I used CRC mass air flow sensor cleanor then I let it sit for about a half hour till it was fully dry. I checked the fuses they all look good.

21,095

Next see if you have fire and the plugs. You can pull them one at a time to test each with a voltmeter and put each in its boot and ground to block turn engine over to see if you have fire. With voltmeter put one lead on tip and other on the metal case/threads area put meter on ohms if any thing shows up its bad should say OL and then put one lead on electrode and to the metal case if any reading other than OL its bad. Look at the plug wires too. Check to be sure all your electrical connectors are connected good.

10

I'll do it in the morning it just started raining. I spent 8 hours today looking for a solution to this on every site I could think of an seen a bunch of people with the same problem but no solution. It's gotta be a sensor or a fuse. Or maybe do you think the catilac converters might be clogged? But I'm gonna check the plugs in the morning

4,465

I presume you've gone back and checked the battery connections to make sure they are still tight. If that's where you worked and then suddenly started having problems with the car, that's the first place you should look for a problem. Sometimes its the obvious things we miss.

10

I checked all all of them need the bettery. But I did find a loose ground wire Goin from the engine to the frame underneath one of the head lights. It was real loose the nut was backed almost all the way off. I was hoping that would be the problem I I cleaned it real good and tightened it all the way back up and still same results turns over but wont start. When I try starting the car I notice it will register about 2 or 3 hundred rpms so I found the crank sensor and disconnected it tried to start it and it didn't register anything on the needle so reconnected it and it would register about 2 or 3 hundred again while trying to start it so it seams like that's fine. Made a call to the dealer ship today they said it could be something with the computer or it might not be getting enough fuel pressure it's getting fuel to the rail but idk If it's enough pressure or not. I'm going to try and replace plugs and coils Friday when I get paid see if that does anything an if not have it towed to a dealership.

4,465

NO! Don't waste your money throwing parts at it and hoping for a miracle. Trouble shoot it first and fix what's actually wrong. Have it scanned for trouble codes and check the fuel pressure as was suggested by the professionals. It's definitely not the plugs, and if the coils are still good you're throwing money away that could be used to fix the actual problem.

10

Ok finally got a scanner today it's saying low voltage to the map sensor and lost signal to transmission control module. Hopeople if I change these the car will be up and running

21,095

Hope so to.

10

I changed the MAP sensor which was around $70 and it changed nothing so the only other code coming up is the TCM. And they are around $150 so I hope that fixes it I'm at work now but when I get home I'm going to try and check the wires Goin to it to see if any are damaged or grounds be for I spend 150 on a part the may or may not be bad.

10

Well the car is fixed and running perfect now. It turns out there was one 15 amp fuse that was blown that cept the car from starting. Lol I looked through the fuse box like 3 times and missed it every time. But Atleast its running now. My next project for this car is getting the power steering working again.

4,465

Glad you're up and running. We all miss those "obvious" things from time to time.