'09 W/ Bad Fuel Leak - Not Covered Under Recall

Asked by Jan 15, 2014 at 06:31 PM about the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

I recently noticed a very strong gas smell when getting out of my car after it being on.
Yesterday, I was cleaning the car while it was running and noticed the smell again and
I large puddle with gas dripping at a pretty fast pace!

After some research online I found out about the recall for gas leaks that included the
2009's. But the dealership checked my VIN and said mine was not covered...

So, before taking it to the shop I wanted to post a picture of the leaking area to check if
others have hasd the same issue. Ideally I can fix it on my own for very little.

**The leak is under the car, driver side, images attached.

Any idea what I'm looking at or what the issue is?

Thanks!

8,095

Check this link: http://www.cartruckinfo.com/chevy-cobalt-saturn-ion-gas-leak.html

30

Look at the line at the highest point where u see moisture. That's where the leak is. Cut and repair. Usually leak is from rubbing a part of the car

16,405

If the dealer told you it is not covered under warranty he may be correct. He'd get the money if he fixed it either from GM or you. My experience, maybe it is a really honest dealership, if it is covered, they'll do it and get the money from GM. All they want is for the mech. to get his pay check. You said it is an easy fix and you can do it. Dealing with gas and the exhaust system and cat under the car, I'd not dilly dally around. I am not sure if this is the case, but some of the older cars in the 60s and 70s had the gas line inside the frame. To replace it it wither had to be a body off the frame fix, or re-route it outside the frame. Good luck.

10

This is exactly the same issue i ran into today, same spot as well, not sure how you faired out but im going to see if i can get some 3/8 hose and a couple clamps and patch it.

16,405

Make sure the hose is strong enough to carry gasoline and the pressure. The hose should not be resting on any areas that would wear a hole in the hose. Check and see if there is a copper line that can be used and good fasteners. You may have a hot car, but we don't need one at 1200 degrees.

80

That picture looks as if you took it right from my car. I started to smell gas a few days ago and look under the car. Exact same spot. Same leak. How much was the cost to fix it? Or did the dealership end up covering it?

20

Se with mine; 2007 ion3, leaking right at the clip

16,405

Dave, you may consider two replacement items. A gas line hose, and new clips to attach them. Clips over time lose their ability to hold as they were designed to do when new. Gas leaks I'd say are the major cause of car fires, no matter where they happen. The cat gets extremely hot and any gas making contact with it could catch fire.

I have 07 Cobalt, it had been sitting for a while and when I was finally able to move it I noticed the gas smell and when I had parked it I had 3/4 of a tank now it's sitting on E I noticed it's leaking the same place as yours. I guess I have to fix it my self since it's not in the recall group, I think it should be as many people that are having the same problem, I would consider it to be a recall. I wonder how many accidents where the car caught on fire had this same problem.

80

Same with my 2009 Cobalt. In other states it is covered under the recall, but not my VIN for some reason. Did you end up getting it repaired? How did it go?

30

Hey I have the same problem but it's my 08 cobalt ls and it's underneath bit on the passenger side u think it could be the fuel line an is that expensive to repair n replace

80

Mine ended up being a rusted fuel line. Being from New England, it rusted right near the driver's side rear tire where the fuel line starts to curve upward. To replace that and the vapor line was about $260 in parts, plus labor.

10

I have and 08' Cobalt leaking from the tank area. It started first with an increasingly stronger odor of gasoline. As far as I know it is not covered under recall.

40

I am having the same problem with my 2009 Chevy Cobalt. It is not covered by a recall but according to the NHTSA website issues with cars that involve gas leakage are not safe and could be grounds for a recall. I would recommend reporting the problem on the NHTSA website so that if this is a serious issue that is grounds for a recall we can get it reported and taken care of.

10

My mother is having the same problems with her 09 Chevy Malibu....Dealership said it is not covered under recall....I will try talking to the NHTSA

70

I have same problem with 2008 Chevy cobalt. It is Not a recall item but has special coverage which covers the repair for free. Takes a service advisor who knows what they are doing to look it up right.

My 2008 cobalt's fuel lines are leaking. How do you find out if there is a recall. The shop wants almost 700.00 to fix it. Sure seems expensive to me.

16,405

Chillsbear: for a garage to quote that, must mean they intend to replace ALL you fuel lines and offer a guarantee. The price is about correct as labor is the largest factor. If it is just one line, you can hope by replacing that one, it will fix it. If one is leaking, others on an 8 year old car may not be far behind, or they never will leak. It is always a gamble. I'm personally cheap and always go the fix what is broken only. they may not offer a guarantee, but if money is the issue, go for it. If they can prove to you beyond any doubt all of them may need replacing, get two or three other shop opinions. Actually if you go to a dealer, it is normally always the highest cost. If you have a good independent auto repair garage around and they speak Cobalt, ask them to check it out. Gas leaks are not good, and you may meet some nice guys in a big red or yellow shiny truck with water hoses on them. Is the connection leaking? Or is the cable cracked. Sometimes a white tape wrap around the fitting will reseal the connection. Don't always go to the first garage unless you really trust them.

I have a 2006 chevy cobalt and I started off smelling Gas and now it's a leak, I called the dealer ship and they said it's not a recall on it but it is a special code for it like 3 of them and for me to bring it in and they take a look at it and if it's one of the code then GM will cover it... I don't understand why they just don't tell you

16,405

Creamy1. The codes may refer to a recall that the factory will cover the cost of repairs. If it is somewhere else, you have to pay for the repairs. It should be a quick fix. You don't have to have the dealer do it, if you have a garage that will look and fix it for less, think of using that one. Do not let the gas leak go on, as it is very flammable, and you may wind up with a really hot car. I'd see if it is under warranty or recall protection first. If you have luck like me, it isn't.

10

Just went to move my 2005 cobalt and when I turned on the car it chugged a bit before it started and instantly had a strong gas smell so I drove it over to another parking spot and got out and looked under the car on the drivers side infont of back wheel and there was a gas puddle about 8" in diameter and gas was still leaking..when I parked the car lastnight everything was fine so I'm not sure what happened overnight

16,405

DamaMB, Gasoline will evaporate overnight. You may have a leaking connection or gas line, or the gas tank has strong a leak. Gas is dripping near the exhaust and tat can spell disaster. Have it looked at immediately and prepared. It may be somethings simple like a fuel filter leaking. Make sure any repairman showed you where the leak is coming from before paying for a completer fuel line replacement. Remember, liquid will flow to the lowest point before dripping so the leak may be further away from where it drips on the ground.

I have the same problem on my 05 cobalt coupe LS. It's leaking right in front of the rear driver side wheel. I put the car up on a lift and found that it's leaking somewhere where the line is wrapped in heat tape when it crosses over the exhaust... I was going to just hack out the bad section and replace with rubber fuel line but both of the lines are extremely rusted the rest of the way to the fuel filter so I'll have to do the filter as well. A full fuel line kit (feed and breather) is $140 from rockauto.com, might just fix it myself

16,405

Unless you like hot cars (on fire), don't mess with cheep fixes. I got fuel lines for my Corvette when changing out the fuel system from Carb to EFI. The good fuel line cost me %5.50 a foot. Make sure it is protected from exhaust lines, bends and sharp metal areas. Doing it yourself is good, just be careful and make sure the car is cold, disconnect the battery to prevent electrical sparks, and use ventilation to remove fuel vapors. Get good connectors also. Have fun.

Same problem with our '09 Cobalt however, after picking up a used line, same car, same year, we discovered ours doesn't have a filter so the line we just bought will not fit.

20

its a bad fuel pump design they leak at the pressure fittings on top of pump I know I have repaired over 100 of these its time for chevy to step up to the plate for there coustomers

10

They now have a special bulletin #12191 for this issue. Chevy will pay for it if the fuel module is cracked. I would call Chevy.

Hi Richard did u change the whole pump assembly, or just repair the cracked part, and how,

16,405

TWINTECHSOUTH, I'd suggest changing the entire pump assembly. Gas leaks not only decrease gas milage, but can cause fires. Parking in a garage, which is a closed space will have gas fumes fill the garage. All it may take is for a water heater, furnace or dryer to start and ignite the fumes, then you have big red or yellow shiny trucks outside your house spraying water on your car and house. Be safe, spend the few bucks, it far less than the deductible on your home owner's insurance policy.

Thanks, I'm smelling gas now,, but I don't see any leaks besides the tank strap is wet,, the lines are all dry,, I'm assuming the pump assembly is leaking,,where I can't see, thanks again

16,405

TWINTECHSOUTH , In that case, check the tank itself, the bands may of worn through the tank and there is a pin hole leak in it. Is it wear around the connection? It may be a gasket. Gas is very corrosive and gaskets may let go. This may involve the removal or losing of the straps to check for tank leaks. Best bet is to place a box fan against the front of vehicle to blow the fumes away from you as you go under to investigate. Not a bad idea to keep an extinguisher handy also. Good luck.

I'll be dropping it tomorrow, to check the top of the pump assembly, and the tank,,I was assuming the pump assembly , because it hesitates to start sometimes, until I turn the key for a second, before starting,,

16,405

That may indicate air in the fuel system so the leak may be a connection at the pump connectors, or the line at the connection. When you can, with a tissue, swipe the top of the pump to check for moistness, then the entire pump assembly itself. Last the gas line connections. the t may single out where the leak is. If you're really frustrated, place a lit match on it. the flames will find the leak. (Not recommended)

Thanks, I just drove around the block to see if i can see any leaks, and , for sure it's coming from the top of the tank, slight drip towards the right of the tank/strap...so I think it's the top of the pump assembly,, hopefully the seal, but after researching, it could be that stupid return line (crack), which my car is not on the recall list.....thanks again,,

I feel like it, dang car bout paid for ,, now want to give me problems, been a good car so far,, so I may wait,, on the lit match thing............for now

i have a 2007 chevy cobalt LT coupe & i'm having the same problem. My car was lifted up yesterday and it seems that the gas tank itself is leaking. What does this mean? The mechanic who showed me the leak didn't mention anything about the lines leaking. Would this be covered under a recall then?

16,405

mariaeircka_x You need to check with GM to see if the leaking fuel tank is under a recall. Depending where you live, (snow/ice /salt country) it may of happened due to driving conditions, which will not be covered in most cases. If the tank itself shows a leak, make sure the connection lines are checks also. Does the hole in the tank appear to of occurred due to a tank fastener or other devices around the tank itself?

Ordered a new pump, , I'll post if it fixes the issue, with pics

Just a follow up, but I changed the whole pump assembly, they said I needed a E3782m, but I ordered a E3726m,,by accident, not sure the difference, but it fits fine, plugs fine, locking ring fine,,...the issue was the feed line was loose , and caused the gas to seep out at the top,,and run down the line to the back of the tank.....since these are two different numbers ,(not sure y), Ill post any changes, if they present itself, thanks,, p.s...dont pay anyone to do it,, I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but a good hour should do it....jack stands and a floor jack, strap bolts are (12mm). and a few cuss words, and your done...

I meant 1/2 in,,

Same thing happen too my 2009 cobalt yesterday, after starting it up I noticed a puddle of gas back by the rear driver's side tire.Took a quick look and saw that the under carriage was all wet by the fuel line bracket. Need too get it up and an correct the problem or call our local dealer on any recall.

Mine wasn't covered for some reason , but if u can get it done for free,,,yes,,,,but again its not too bad of a job,,if u order online, they have two different part numbers ,again no real difference in pump assembly,,,,mine is doing fine since I change it no changes, same gas mileage,,