Check Engine Light

Asked by Sep 16, 2011 at 01:08 PM about the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

I bought a brand new '09 Cobalt. I have 38050 miles on it. In less than a month and a half I have had 6 check engine lights come on. Everytime I've taken it to Chevy service center and they've replaced something different every time. I've been talking to Chevy Customer Service and they aren't really helping me at all. Has anyone had this problem? And if so what actions did you take?  -Andrew

110

i have an 06 cobalt ss and my check engin light kept flashing on then of on then off and it started missing shortly after that then my supercharger went out

95

Your Cobalt is very different from the earlier 07 and below year models. It is vague without the facts-what have they replaced, you should ask for the "Code History" which every Dealer would start by obtaining from your computer. With it you can have info to take elsewhere, and get another opinion from them.

245

I have an 09' as well but no problems engine wise. if the engine is running fine like it doesnt seem like its misfiring, warms up fine etc. it s likely it could just be a faulty connection to the check engine light.

65

i have an 09 cobalt coupe, the check engine light has come on 3 times.... each time the dealer has found a loose wire on my mass airflow sensor... maybe this is helpfull

75

I have an 05 cobalt and my Check Engine light has come on for only 3 reasons...1 Gas Cap not on correctly, 2. O2 Sensor 3. Computer troubles. Get the codes from the dealer. It will help.

10

Sometimes I think a sensor or something along those lines may be malfunctioning

160

I have an '08 Cobalt and have nothing but problems with this lemon! I bought it brand new from the Chevy dealership and have a stack of service repairs that are as thick as a phone book. I've had so many things replaced and it just kept going back to shit. After my warranty was up and still having the same problems that were "fixed" the three dealerships I went to wouldn't do anything and I even wrote GM headquarters...5 months ago. Did I hear back? Nope! So now I'm stuck with this piece of crap. I'm all for supporting my country in every way...but I cannot and will not support GM anymore after this horrible experience. Thanks for the shit mobile GM.

25

my sentiments exactly

145

Only experienced it when ive played with my air intake, maybe check out your mass air flow sensor, maybe not the case, but it worked for me. Goodluck man!

10

What up

60

wow, what an eye opener!! sounds exactly like my bought new 08 cobalt that has less than 48000 miles. nothing but headaches and the check engine light continues to be on and the car barely runs. I have better junker cars!! dealer and gm have been of no help and just keep badgering me about the ignition switch recall!! I had it done 2 years ago when I had an issue with the car not shutting off!!! I too will never buy another gm , ever

For your ignition problem I had the same issue with it not shutting off a few years ago. You should still get the new ignition if it was replaced prior to the recall you still have the defective ignition. I too have had nothing but problems at 73000 miles I had to replace the engine because the timing belt broke and destroyed all the valves.

20

I have a 2009 chev Colbot. Engline light on change oil change. Camshaft. Light still on why