I am interested in a Mitsubishi Raider, but there has been some leaks that the main dealer who serviced told me about.I know the Raider (and the Dakota it's based on) has these problems. Are these ongoing design problems or can I be confident if the dealer fixed them, they should remain fixed ?

30

Asked by Nov 02, 2013 at 10:17 PM about the 2008 Mitsubishi Raider LS Double Cab

Don't do it....get a Toyota....Prius all electric would be nice...the money you'd save with somethin' like that'd pay for itself in time~....Mitsubishi...have not one solitary wonderful thing to say about them....paragraphs of where they missed the bus~....nice styling tho~ I drive a 20 mpg MINI cooper 1.6 liter and am stuck with the payments now....price index collapsing before my very eyes~

My 36" direct view MItsubishi1986 CRT television stopped producing high- voltage anymore last week....with a tear I took that one to the dump...it must have had $1200 of Japanese hardwood on that one...it was the TOP of the line in 1986~

The guys who fix television sets are all DEAD these days~

30

That's funny. I know the Outlander gets good reviews I thought the Raider would be the same, then I called the main dealer and got the list of all that's been done on this. Even the tech said I'd be better with the Dakota, Although to be fair, car's/trucks have problems, car's/trucks get fixed. That I can handle, and that's what I was trying to find out from someone who's been down this road with the Raider already.

263,885

"On the 3.7L V6 and 4.7L V8 the Camshaft position sensor failure can cause the engine to crank but not start or it can cause intermittent stalling. A new camshaft position sensor will be needed"....."A clunk or popping sound while turning is commonly caused by the intermediate steering shaft. Replacement of the upper intermediate shaft will be necessary"......."Exhaust manifold bolts commonly break, the exhaust manifold gaskets should also be replaced at this time"

Best Answer Mark helpful
30

Yeah, I hear ya. I guess I was hoping there's some hope as I like the truck, great room in the back and nice looking. Is the Dakota of the same year worth visiting, or should I pony up for Frontier money ? Thanks fella's, I really appreciate the fast response. I posted on the mitsubishi forum and got no answer.

I tend to LOVE the Japanese vehicles...the Toyota, Datsun/Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Suzuki....but Mitsubishi is the company that brought you the Zero (airplane) that kamikaze pilots brought destruction upon US forces in WW- II...sad, light...one time use....got the Job done...but something sinister about this company~

forgot Honda...still find them an slightly evolved motorcycle...even worse with Suzuki...after working on a few of them over the years have thought to myself "why did you not just excel at motorcycles?" always needed catalytic converters rough ridin' and not even that great of a gas mileage~ Honda is still a "toy car" even though not a Toyota (which is an awesome, respectable brand)~

6,295

what leaks are you referring to it having ??

30

I was told there was a leak under the windshield, below the wipers. Also from either the passenger or driver side door. One of these leaks apparently soaked the floors. There was also corrosion on the rear door. I got this information from the dealer that sold and serviced the car, but not the dealership that is selling the car. I was told by someone that worked on raiders to avoid it and I'd be better off with the original Dakota it was based on. I checked another raider and it smelled like a wet dog inside and I could see where the door seal was peeling away from the door frame. other than that the truck is immaculate, I wondered if this design flaw can ever really be fixed.

A competent windshield replacement guy could pull the windshield, reseal it, then you'd have to replace the door seal. a good cleaning with alcohol where the door seal goes would probably be in order before reinstalling. I had an old VW with these issues, and replacing the rubber was a pain in the posterior, but was worth it. I put a bucket of Damp-Rid under the driver's seat to absorb the excess dampness that had gotten into the floor mats up front, after a month, it was dry as a bone, no smell any more. Hope that helps.