excessive oil consumption

15

Asked by Feb 26, 2016 at 11:22 PM about the 2009 Subaru Forester 2.5 X Premium

2009 Forester uses excessive oil between changes, is there a better choice of oil to minimize loss? Synthetic/blends, viscosity and brand.

5,315

Subaru's are known for a few things when it comes to maintenance. They light bulbs for breakfast (I was replacing the headlights and tail lights on my 2005 Outback about every six months, and am just changing them in my 2007 Hyundai Elantra for the first tie since i bought it brand new 9 years ago) and the other is Oil Consumption. The 2.5L motor is notorious for this, and left unchecked or noticed most owners are headed for much more costly expenses than a few quarts of oil. As a mechanic, and as a car enthusiast I would recommend that you run synthetic in all cars all the time, even if I have a used vehicle that I purchase, I immediately change the oil to synthetic. Its viscosity, durability, and low break down threshold under severe stress all add up to protection for the engine as well as less of it "burning off" during normal to rough driving conditions. Consider it a blessing that you noticed as many Subaru owners think that simply changing the oil every three thousand miles is considered maintenance. (Fluids should be check at least every other fuel fill).

50

Check the gaskets on the oil pan and head cover you could have a small leak but when and engine is hot the oil is thins out and will leak out of any little opening. Also i recommend using Lucas Oil Stabilizer it will replace a quart of oil next time you do an oil change it basically thickens the oil and also helps the oil lubricate the internals of the engine better.

64,285

It likely needs an engine. The Subarus are famous for excessive oil consumption. Perhaps do some "googling" for "Subaru oil consumption". Best of luck with it.

15

Unfortunately the original engine also lost oil from the time it was off the showroom floor. The oil level dropped and the engine blew as a result of the poor oil warning lite not coming on until it was too late. Engine replaced by Subaru and the new engine also uses excessive oil. All web sites suggest this to be a common occurrence with these engines and 1qt per 1000mi is good. My question is there a viscosity thats better than 5x30 and is there a best brand to slow the loss. I think, in spite of the manufacturers claims this is normal no other engine that I have ever had in any auto has had this problem. With the amount of oil these engines go through it's time that Subaru gets its s..t together and engineer this problem out. These engines reputably cause problems for the owners.

Had head gaskets replaced on 2009 forester due to oil leak??? since repair check engine light came on was down 3 quarts of oil and was just due for oil change.Dealer suggested oil challenge test did this and was down 1 court at 1200 miles.Car has 109,000 miles.course car not under warranty Although at 66,000. same issue but I thought at time it was because I was behind on oil changeNo one at dealer mentioned anything to me about possible defect.Now have to fight with Subaru of America. Dealer told me my model should not of had issues since was small block engine anyone have any suggestions of what I really should do to this car?

104,155

SOA probably will not help you on a 9 year old car with over 100k on it. You could install a rebuilt engine, junk it or sell it really cheap with full disclosure.