Engine issues with 87 tbird

Asked by Dec 19, 2010 at 05:04 PM about the 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo

I got ahold of a 87 tbird 6cyl fuel injection that had be rear ended and sitting for a couple of hears with bad gas. They ran it on and off until it would not run anymore.

I drained the tank and added new gass and some additive to remove water slug and clean injectors. The engine will start but runs rough and will not idol. Plugs look clean. I replaced the fuel filter. Oddly enough, there was no pressure in the line. I can rev the engine to keep it running. Again, it s rough and dies after I let off the gas. Holding the gas down half way causes it to die. I can only rev it to keep it going.

What are my next steps. Replace fuel pump?

Also I did notice radiator overflow tank has brownish gunk in it. Almost like oil or steering fluid. Any ideas. Don't think it is a gasket. Oil looks good just thin.

Blead air out of fuel rail,that should help.

Really? Never thought that could be an issue. Will give it a try. I ordered a pressure test kit. So, i will do it prior to checking the pressure. Thanks for the new idea.

Check this out.....if the car was run on "bad" gas ..( like its been cinamon topped or an old used coffee filter bad?) you have probally many issues however chk the "inirtia switch" in trunk test fuel pressure if low or none i would pull the tank if its scary i would replace with a donor from used cl add or somthing...And u probally have plugged exhaust (cat converter) drop it right at the manifold (unbolt it) and fire it up. If u are of higher skill level a vacum gauge on manifold vac port will tell u the whole story without droping the exhaust

DO WHAT,you sound like you on dope or something.to original poster,change fuel filter do the air blead.as for the rad over flow tank ,just old collent,you may want to do a flush and fill on rad,dont use the 50 50 premix,use 100% antifreze.

Thanks all. The fuel pressure was 18psi. Seems kinda low but definitely enough to get fuel to the engine. I'm just gonna add more fresh gas. There was probably some bad gas i wasnt able to get out of the tank. I've been hesitant to add more gas cuz its kinda hard to get rid of old gas. Especially the 16gals i originally pulled out.