Is there a oil that can lower my oil temperature?

Asked by Dec 03, 2015 at 11:51 PM about the 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera

I have owned my 2008 Porsche Carrera since it was new and the oil temp
seems to be getting hotter and hotter. It now runs constantly between 230
and 250 degrees. and sometimes the engine smells like its cooking itself. I
brought it several dealers and Porsche experts all telling me its normal. Is
there a synthetic oil that could help this problem?

Belive or not I used to have a performance cars back in the days. And always use diesel oil (Rotella T6 5w40) , I never had any problem with my turbo and remember turbo's runs at 100K RPM and also used to use in my CBR1000 witch run beteween 12K up to 14K . I should give a try!

49,295

Run what is recommended by Porsche. Do not run diesel oil as diesel oil is for diesels (and maybe some motorcycles). Porsche knows more about Porsche engines than anyone, after all, the designed and engineered them. My 2006 Corvette had oil temperature very similar to your Porsche.

555

Yes.. Mobile 1 makes a diesel syn oil. A must for turbos. It's the only oil on the market with an additive that proficiently lubricates turbo bearings. Professed by engine builders. For the 08 try running a 5-50 syn oil. Make sure your radiator are clear of leaves. In racing, we don't like to see temps over 250. 250 does sound high for street driving. Are the fans working properly?

1,770

You have a coolant problem The car uses anti-freeze and about 10 quarts of oil to cool the engine. You might have a sticking thermostat in the anti-freeze side OR a sticking oil thermostat. Engines that run hotter than about 220 degrees are also degrading your oil by overheating it. My guess if the anti-freeze level is ok, you have a sticking oil thermostat or a blocked or crushed oil line going to the front of the car. Take it to a Porsche speed shop, NOT a dealer. Dealers are parts changers and rip-off artists. Speed shops know all about the importance of keeping race cars cool. Incidentally, Shell synthetic Rotella T-6 oil works fine, in fact, it's probably your best choice as it can withstand higher heat loads. Good Luck.

Thanks guys for your advice. I have a couple of things that might add in information. The water temperature has never been above 175 degrees (dead in the middle). I brought it to the dealer first, and then to a couple of guys very up and specializing in performance cars and Porsche's. They ran it up to and over 275 degrees, by running at close to max RPMs (glad I wasn't there I would have freaked) and then drove a regular 3k-5k RPMs and the temp went down to about 220. They all said they believed it was running properly. The crimp, crushed or partially blocked oil line might be a place to narrow in on. How would it have been crushed there has not been any damage, accidents or mishaps so I have no idea how the oil lines could be damaged? I have talked to others on the internet and some other owners/friends and they tried adding a second radiator.I haven't done this because I don't think water temp is the problem and I got mixed reviews from the guys that tried this.

1,770

Crushed or pinched lines occur when lifts ate not placed on the chassis lift points. Happens a lot. I've got a 2000 996, and the water thermostat is 180 is degrees. 220 is still too high, even on the oil circuit. And running at 275 is downright reckless, and at the very least, they ruined your oil. As I said before, take it to a Porsche speed shop, that dealer risked major damage to YOUR car. Check for crushed lines first. If not, remove the front bumper and check for plastic bags or some crap blocking the oil.cooler(s). Removing the bumper is relatively easy, Don't be afraid to tackle it. There is something wrong here that needs fixing. Keep me informed.