Toyota Camry 09 4-cylinder I just replaced battery, I turn on the car got everything set up and now my car went into limp mode and I can't figure out how to get it out?

40

Asked by Nov 11, 2015 at 03:35 PM about the 2009 Toyota Camry LE

The battery was out of the car for a
day and a half

142,865

When it goes in to limp mode the CEL will be on. Have OBDII codes scanned to point you where the problem is. It's a popular misconception that limp mode means transmission problem, but not true. Depending on what the DTC is, you may or may not be able to DIY, depending on your automotive skills. But when it it fixed, it will leave limp mode and run normally without having to "re-set" it

142,865

But, however, with battery disconnected for a while the ECU goes in to default settings must 're-learn' all the data and maybe, just maybe, driving it for 20-30 miles it could fix it's self

40

If I let it idle 20 to 30 minutes do you think it will do you think same thing as driving in 20 to 30 miles ?

40

So I just went down to my local auto parts store and had the car scaned and it said it was the throttle actutator control motor. Why would replacing a battery screw up ?

142,865

It wouldn't. Something else is going on. And to answer your first question, yes, idling will serve the same purpose while ECU 're-learns'

142,865

When I replaced the battery in my Corolla I put the battery in right there in the parking lot of NAPA and and it ran like crap all the way home, about 10 minutes, I was getting nervous-- then I let it idle for another 10 minutes then everything was fine.

142,865

Exactly what code did it throw...P????

40

P2118

142,865

http://www.engine-codes.com/p2118_2009_toyota_camry.html - one of the causes is battery, which could mean cables. If you are not getting a good solid ground from battery this will happen. click image

Best Answer
40

Used the volt meater to check the power in the wires then checked the ground wire. Still nothing. Even deleted/ erased the code.

40

It's still not working... Ugh....I used the volt reeder and tested all the wires on the throttle actuator the orange cable was the only week one.

You might have to have the computer on this vehicle ..."Reset" with a scan tool. However, I would be inclined to try this first. Clear the code(s)...start her up and sit in the vehicle and let it idle. Turn on the A/C and place the tranny in drive with the park brake applied, let it run for a few minutes. Then put it in reverse for a few minutes. Back into park. Drive this vehicle at different speeds for about 20 minutes. If she still is in "limp in".....take to a repair shop that has a scan tool capable to doing "resets". Lesson learned....do not D/C the battery on these modern cars WHITHOUT first installing some sort of "battery saver" device.

40

Limp mode is stupid in my opinion. The car only drives at 1 rpms

Interesting you should have that opinion. The REAL intent of this computer control mode is to teach us a lesson. Do not try to fix your own vehicle. Take it to the Dealer/Repair Garage for maintenance and repair. Automobile Computers have had programs called "Adaptive Learning" for many years. It is rather recently(last 10 years) that manufacturers created and installed a program which includes this "Limp in Mode" to be triggered by a simple Battery Disconnect. Thus we have learned to find ways to defeat this mode. Thus....the Battery Memory Saver was invented. Most quality Scan Tools today have the capability to perform a "reset" of many parameters on todays modern vehicle...including a Battery D/C. So....advise to the DIYS out there.....do your research BEFORE you attempt to maintain and repair your vehicle. That is why there is Google and this forum.

40

It's giving 2 codes P2118 P2118 p/d

Have you checked the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) FUSE?. I think it is located in the Fuse/Relay box under the hood of this vehicle. Did you perhaps installed the battery "backwards"? Why was the battery replaced?

40

Left lights on. Came back next morning and it was dead.

Ok...I think I understand. IF this vehicle was running fine BEFORE the battery went dead...and....you installed a new battery correctly....not backwards...we can assume no other damages have occurred. It appears you may need a computer "reset". You need a Scan Tool to perform this Reset. You might consider performing the above procedure I described......letting the engine IDLE ...warmed up.....foot on brake...shifting through the gears....A/C on full. Then if possible...take the vehicle down the road for a road test. Don't forget to check that ETC FUSE under the hood of the vehicle. The ID for the fuses and relays are indicated on the Fuse/Relay COVER. Good luck.

560

Cliff...what ever happened with this car?