2008 Dodge Ram hemi 2500 5.7 standard wont start

Troy Leblanc

Asked by Mar 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM about the 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 4WD

truck wont start lights come on in truck until I turn the key then everything dies, wiggle positive cable on battery and lights come on again turn key everything is dead again, any suggestions

Bad or dirty connection. Could be a bad battery. Clean and tighten the cables if that dont work have the battery tested

Best Answer
Troy Leblanc

also forgot to mention I can jump start it

what does the date code say on the battery...seven years is enough to warrant replacement...alternator doin' alright? clean connections for plenty of power?

Sounds like another chrysler with electrical problems my o my. It never ends. It could be a number of things dodge electonics suck they like to make it way more complicated then it needs to be

Troy Leblanc

date on battery is 7/12

hmmm...should be okay, yet barring any critical service this one may have had~ charge 'er up overnite. will see how it does tomorrow after eight hours charge time~

Thinks your alternator has a bad ground connection....look for this bold 1/0 battery cable going to the engine from the chassis ground or ground terminal....this ground path must be good, or we won't be getting any charge off the alternator~

@kbro, they are all buggies, and ALL have problems....especially with wear and useage....and....abuse~

Apperntly you havent had to work on many new model chryslers. They all break. These just break more and are no fun figuring out. Plus they dont pay worth beans. Warranty is even worse. Worst out of the american brands atleast.

RAM tough....because kbro wants to RAM them~

RAM tough. Cuz they ram tech's on a daily basis. Haha you like that one?

tell me you aren't an authorized Chrysler mechanic. and are just a fed up with their budgetizing, such as using a metal clip for hoses that will cut you rather than the friendly breeze clamps that you can put a power drill on to twist 'em off-...been there, seen their discourteous to service budget plan...and do not think 000ge is the worst- AMC when they still existed had the crown with efforts such as the MATADOR, AMBASSADOR, PACER and GREMLIN....wish I could say something nice about these American automobile efforts~

Man your talkin old school. Ive heard of some of those vehicles you speak of but never laid hands on one im way to young for that mess

me first buggy, 73 AMC Gremlin my aunt dorothy worked at the plant at Kenosha 'till they closed it down- The art of crazy inefficient design based on a wartime Jeep, and using motors that were repurposed reject Ford blocks...man they had it all figured out~

Troy Leblanc

thanks guys, changed the positive terminal, cleaned all connections and it started, now next problem, I bought this truck from a small car lot and it had 100000 miles on it after I changed terminal truck now has 121000 miles on it did car lot change it

they repurposed the odometer....guilty of this myself....TOTALLY illegal, was unavoidable in my case, fire and destruction claimed the first, junkyard thought nothin' of it~

Either that or they drove the livin' hell out of it....or it's a different truck~

Troy Leblanc

did not happen till I changed the battery terminal, how can I tell if there was any tampering, even my contract says 100000

is this a digital odometer? curious those. seems too easy to tamper-

there would be a 'tamper evident' band on the main opening, similar to what they put on computers to make sure no one's been in there~

Troy Leblanc

its digital

no one to complain to if this were the case....what 'department of weights and measures'--ya. fersure~

there- juiced the goose-you deserve it~