1ST TIME POSSIBLE BMW PURCHASE

5

Asked by Nov 17, 2012 at 02:26 AM about the 2008 BMW 3 Series 328i

I am 33 yrs old and I am considering buying a BMW 328 2008-2009 for the very first time. I have always wanted one
ever since I was 9 years old. I have heard so many things about maintaince and repairs. I am not a fixer myself type
of guy. I am not intelligent when it comes to repairs for me to do on cars. I would like very good advice.  Should I buy
a BMW or NOT.

3,315

To be completely honest, unless you have the bank roll to cover $160/hr for labor at the dealership or know a good private mechanic, turning your own wrenches is the most economical way to own a Bimmer. As with all things German, performance comes at a cost. Our friends in Munich and Greer build a stellar ride that requires on going maintenance. They utilize many composite and weight saving components which tend to wear out over time. These vehicles are not manufactured like the Japanese, Korean or American/Canadian/Mexican domestics. They build quality and are far superior, along with the ride.Also, be prepared to pay more at the pump. Low-grade fuel is not going to cut it. Premium is all that you should run. Personally, I have owned five Bimmers and a Mini, and will not drive anything less. If you are serious about owning an E90, then buy a Bentley repair manual and get your hands dirty. You will be glad you did while earning the right to call yourself a "Propeller-head". Happy motoring!

Best Answer Mark helpful
4,655

Like mentioned above if you buy a BMW be prepared to pay. The cost to maintain one is high and so are the labor rates at the local dealer. And you will sometimes have to take it to a dealer since they are the only ones who can do some of the repairs. Like Michael stated above if you do some of the work yourself it will be cheaper but if you dont have much of knowledge with vehicles then don't work on your car may end up causing more problems. Make sure if you do get it and dont want to take it to a dealer make sure the people who do work on it know what they are doing. I have seen many cars come into my dealer from other shops they can work on BMW's and they are a mess. Couple things to look for though if you do wanna go for a 328i, see if the lifters and roller rockers have been done (will cause a ticking noise at idle can be very loud), water pump has ever been replaced if not look at condition of the coolant, valve cover gasket leaking oil. Those are the most common things that go wrong with that vehicle and engine called the N52. But don't get me wrong that is a great car and will last a very long time if maintained right. If your on the fence about it go drive one thats what won me over. Hope this helps.

185

If you can find a low mileage '08-'09 (under 50k miles) you should be fine. But look for evidence of each service (basically oil changes) and be prepared to pay a premium for a car that has had evidence of above average maintenance (like oil changes every 6-8k miles rather than the recommended service intervals, which varies based on driving conditions but for most folks will be 10-15k miles). Three pieces of advice. 1) If you can, find an independent BMW-specialty shop that has strong recommendations. They will save you a lot of money compared to a dealer, and are much less likely to goof up your car compared to even otherwise competent shops that just aren't as familiar with the peculiarities of BMWs. 2) There's a big service around the 80k mark. Save up for it -- it's expensive; but don't fail to take it in for the service. If you have a good independent shop they shouldn't nick you too badly. 3) I don't think its necessary to become your own mechanic. And if you are thinking about going that route and don't already have the skills, a late model BMW really isn't the ideal car to learn on -- they are pretty complicated, and can require some pretty specialized tools.

9,025

I have had two 335-I BMW's - you gotta luv them. However, you NEVER want to own any BMW that is not under some type of warranty or maintenance contract.

I own a 335i and I'm glad I bought it, it's worth the maintenance, I just did the oil filter housing gasket myself, there's youtube tutorial and forums everywhere, if a bmw was what you wanted since you were 9 then you should get one but read forums first and might I suggest a 335 model because it's 70 hp more