i would like to install a chevy 598cu motor into my 68camaro conv....will it fit without too much trouble with stock front suspintion tks larry

15

Asked by May 04, 2013 at 04:08 PM about the 1968 Chevrolet Camaro SS

1968 camaro conv stock front end

...well your radiator might have to go elsewhere, like waaay out in front, and the motor mounts may be in a slightly different spot, then there's the headers interfering with the steering column...but this is minor...right?~

15

i was on planning on welding my own hedders for this swap...if i have to use rack and pinon steering but i am not sure about the radiator being in the way?

well do your homework, take a lot of pictures and make a few drawings with the tape measurements on them~

185

all will fit...but the deck is raised to 9.80 or 10.20 high..the fun part is making it right.

My good pal put a Chevy 350 into a Kaiser Henry J...only there was no where to go with the radiator, thought about putting into the back in the front just looked horrible...stills sits in his garage along with his five other henry J's~

255

you have to change everything so................ a lot of work and $$$

15

can u tell me what everything means? also what about a ls3 swap into a 68camaro tks larry

395

Not too bad of a swap. Engine mounts will need moved a little, headers will need to be fitted around the steering shaft, could be a hood clearance issue if using a factory hood, no room for a mechanical fan, will need a more stiff set of front springs to handle the weight of the big block. Trans should work but I would'get a built one. Same for the rear differential.

15

thank you so much..... this 578bb is all aluminum brodix block and brodix heads built for pump gas 10-1 compression ......they use 454 blocks so this is probably close to the same size i would think? this engine is new and 5min fm my home.....my other option is a ls3 motor and trans? i have a cowl induction hood tks again i plan on a powerglide trans fm a speed shop?

395

Yes it will be the same size. What are your plans for the car? If its a cruiser than I would opt for an overdrive trans, easier on the engine because it will lower the cruising rpm, if it going to strictly be a drag car than a powerglide will do great. Also if its going to be a cruiser I would do the ls3 swap. It will be more expensive to do but you will have better MPG and still have plenty of power. Another thing about ls sawps is the trans, you will need an off set flexplate to accomodate an older style trans. These are available from http:// www.advanceadapters.com/products/712500a--ls-series- engine-to-th350700rflexplate-kit/

15

i have just decided to cancel the 578bb chevy and now thinking of the ls3 swap and trans to go with it....yes a cruiser yes yr right better gas and still have power....toying with a used combo with little miles and overdrive trans yes more monies dont know which way to go new or used tks larry......

255

http://www.hotchkis.net/6769_camarofirebird_3_drop_tvs_system_small_block.html