69 lincoln continental shifter linkage feels loose

Asked by Jan 03, 2014 at 04:56 PM about the 1969 Lincoln Continental Base

The shifter on the steering column is very loose.  If I park on a hill it wont stay in park and
ill pop into reverse (obviously a problem)  Is replacing the linkage a problem, or is this a
known issue that just needs to be tightened somehow?

6,835

If you go under the car (PLEASE BLOCK IT UP SAFELY FIRST), you will find that you can make adjustments to the "shift lever to transmission ratchet" position by loosening and retightening two nuts. Place the transmission shifter in "PARK" and then adjust the rod connection so that the transmission ratchet is completely in the "PARK" notch on the transmission itself. You failed to mention how old the transmission is (mileage wise) so it might have a worn down parking pawl inside the transmission as well.

Best Answer

Thanks for the advice, it's very low milage only 44,500 give or take miles on the original tranny/engine. I'm planning on an engine/transmition rebuild this summer otherwise it's perfect shape, just want it 100% before i start using it for a tour business i have set up.