So I have a 1996 Honda Civic EX. Today I replaced my spark plugs, it had NKG-R plugs in it, and I put NKG Iridium IX plugs in to replace those, I have noticed a loss in acceleration, but no rattling

Asked by May 30, 2015 at 11:33 PM about the 1996 Honda Civic Coupe EX

And my check engine light came on,
so I don't know why it's on, any
ideas why???

83,485

Iridium plugs take more firing voltage from the coil, if your ignition system is not 100% then you could notice problems. On a rig that old single platinum plugs would have been enough if you were looking at some long lasting spark plugs.

Best Answer

Would replacing the wires help?? I just replaced then today and it just now started messing up?

I'm also turning it into a street racing car, so I thought the higher end plugs would have been fine .

83,485

If you intend to keep the plugs then I would replace the wires, cap, rotor and a higher output coil just to make sure you have enough energy to fire those plugs.

What would you recommend??

83,485

Street racer then you better go with high energy ignition, change the advance curve for the distributor at least.

Is that easy??

83,485

Check MSD and Accel for some, and I'm sure there are some import specialists out there that could give you more pointers on rice burners.

83,485

The deeper you go the harder it gets, this stuff is fairly easy to do.

Okay....so it's an O2 sensor, why would the O2 sensor become faulty? Is it because the higher end plugs??

83,485

Was it not switching or was it the heater that went out? O2 sensors can and do just quit for no apparent reason but sometimes there is a reason like coolant in the exhaust, or oil fumes, raw fuel dumped in the exhaust system, stuff like that.

I had NKG-R plugs in it before and I have never had an check engine light on. But now that I have the NKG Iriduims the light came on and the code that was read was an O2 sensor

The car runs fine I don't know why all of a sudden the sensor went out, I guess the higher grade plugs are ignightibg

Are igniting harder than the old ones and that made it go out.

83,485

Did you use anti-seize on the new plugs? I have heard that too much get into the combustion cambers and the O2 get a coating on it that won't burn off, I guess some anti-seize products have a silicone derivative in it and that is what kills the O2.

No I didn't put anything in the plugs, just a straight swap

Could I unplug the sensor and then plug it back in??

83,485

What did the codes say about the O2 sensor?

I don't know id have to go back and have them read it, if I get you the code would that help?? All I know was that the check engine light was on because of the sensor

I just pulled one of the plugs to check them and there is white stuff on the end of the plug, but not on my old ones, is that normal??

83,485

It could be caused by the O2 sensor, most likely too lean.

Well I think there are som underlying problems

Any way I can send you a picture?? Maybe by phone??

If so text me at 870-275-1045

Okay, so the catalytic converter has very large hose clamps on it holding it together. I'm gonna take them off and see what's going on. It looks really makeshift, so I'm gonna see what's the deal

83,485

Most likely the shields were making noise so someone put a big hose clamp around it to stop the shields from vibrating, it's cheaper than a new cat, also works on muffler shields.

Okay cool I just know the sensor is really black so that probably why it went bad