Premptively replacing the Timing Tensioner

Edmund Janas

Asked by Mar 25, 2015 at 06:49 PM about the 2008 MINI Cooper S

I may have to buy a 2008 Mini Cooper S, or if I'm lucky go with the 2011 model. Of course the stories I hear about this problem throw a fly in the ointment. Otherwise, I really like this car. The 2008 that I had safety checked had no problems on safety check, but I'm wondering if folks premptively replace timing tensioners to prevent timing chain problems to begin with. And also, an unrelated question:  Ehy would Mini mount their engines with a plastic mounting frame? (or whatever that is) Critics point that out...but I'm sure they are just hating on the daring and stylish.

I answered someone else with the same question..

Edmund Janas

Thank you, Tom. But that post didn't really answer my question. The Tensioner, from what I'm learning is a cheap and easy to replace component. I'm not buying a 2008 mini until I know for sure if the problem can be kept at bay with a new timing tensioner (the alleged source of the problem) or if one must wait until the death rattle starts.

Edmund, I'm not a Mini guy, but I'd suggest you join a Mini forum and see what others who actually own the cars are saying. I don't think replacing a part that you say is cheap and easy to replace would hurt. Why wait for the rattle? But I personally think Mini's require too much maintenance for what they are. Good Luck on your search!!

Best Answer
Edmund Janas

That's the consensus among the objective that I have run into. The only other comparable car that pleases my need for driving and cuteness is the Veloster, and even that lacks the classic look I am hooked on.