what could cause my 2008 Mini S to occasionally smoke, and smoke on startup almost every time?

Asked by Jul 26, 2014 at 03:27 PM about the 2008 MINI Cooper S

White smoke, with an odd smell on startup, and blue (oil) smoke while running and
after reaching running temp, especially when the ac is on.  I've only had it a week, and
it only has 64k on it.  I could speculate that some kid had it before me reamed the guts
out of it, and probably didn't use synthetic oil, or 93 octane fuel... But, it does have a
short time left on warranty, but I'm sure the dealers mechanic isn't BMW or Mini
certified... Could this be a turbo issue?

More than likely,bad valve seat,s causing your smoke,or possible cracked ring.

Is engine light on?

No, no engine lights, took it to my friend's shop and it's not throwing any codes at all, other than i have a lower driving light on. I have heard that these engines burn some oil, but this is weird.

had the oil changed yesterday to the recommended castroil synthetic, and ran all the old gas out refilling with 93. Didn't seem to help.

Most mini engine,s are great running,it all has to be how it was treated before you got it,not changing oil in it is the main thing.

Try some gas treatment and oil additive to it.

Luca,s oil treatment is the best.

yeah that's kinda what I was leaning toward. former neglect. I added fuel system cleaner last week, made no difference, do you have any recommendations for oil additives?

just seen that, Thanks for your help! I'll give it a shot, but it's going back to the dealer Monday for their mechanic to look at... Hopefully not too much of an issue..

I've always used "Restore" in all my wheels, with no engine problems. Recently had a dealer replace pan gasket & cam sensor O ring to end leaks not long after a Mobil 1 5w30 oil change & assuming they didn't save/re- use what was in the pan, called next day to verify & was told refilled with 5- 30 "Mini oil" Anyone know who makes this? They prob get it in bulk so no container to read... Thoughts?