have a hard time starting it after sitting for awhile

Asked by Apr 08, 2014 at 08:30 AM about the 2008 MINI Cooper S

For the past 4 days in the morning I have to crank it for about 3-4 minutes before it will finally start. Also the fan comes on when the engine isn't even warm. The yellow temp light came on but the coolant level is ok.

When you start it you could try to pump the peddle a few times to assist the fuel flow, I do that too, Some cars need it. You might need a new fuel filter too or spark plugs or leads if you haven't done them in a while. The temp light going on could just be a faulty censor, If the coolant level looks good and there's no over heating problems then ignore it i say.

Mini has a fuel injected engine, I would not suggest pumping the gas pedal at all. If the car starts at all, you may have purchased bad gasoline and while I'm on the subject of gas, are you using premium? I would also suggest that you use a really good fuel system cleaner with Teflon in it. If the gas is bad, you must pump it all out, Do not try to run it dry as that will cause more issues. Good Luck, Rick

My car is fuel injected too, And in the coldest weather it likes a few pumps while turning over. No need for it in the warmer weather though. Your car might just like the higher octane fuels i guess. Yeah like what mightymini11 said, Don't try to run the tank dry cause that could burn out the fuel pump as it relies on the fuel to lubricate it.

All Mini's run on premium fuel and they really frown on pumping the pedal, all you do at that point is flood the pistons with fuel, not good for them or the engine.

Hi robh1922, I was wondering if you ever solved your hard start and engine fan problem with your mini. I am also having the same problem with my 2009 Mini Clubman just recently and has been worsening this week. Would appreciate knowing how your problem was solved.