How easy is it to swap the run flat tires for regular tires?

Asked by May 30, 2008 at 07:51 PM about the 2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S

What is involved in changing the standard runflat tires to regular tires, first using the original rims, and second by changing the rims as well?

3,625

It's as easy as getting a non-runflat tire of the same size. BUT you don't want to do that. You have runflat tires because you do not have a spare tire. if your runflat tire goes flat, you can drive at least 50 miles at 50mph on it. If you have standard tires and you get a flat, you can drive 1/2mile at 50mph and then call a tow truck, because you've just shredded it. If you change wheels, any TPMS sensors mounted to the wheels MUST be installed on the new wheels. Federal law and the TREAD act makes it a federal crime to disable or remove any part of the system, including the sensors. You don't want anyone to go to jail just for that, do you?

45

yer you can do it just as long as you don't like in the usa. all you need to do is use the reset button under your handbrack. i have had 20's on my mini so what a load !!! and to old bill dont give a

670

its also a felony to remove the airbags on any car without being certified but that didnt stop me when the last time you saw someone get arrested on the news for taking stuff off their car?

55

You don't have to have a runf-flat in your MINI if you don't want too. Changing tires (in USA) is not a crime and you might change size if you like. All season run-flats are OK with normal winter conditions (no heavy snow) and summer.

45

You can swap out the runflats. The ride will be much nicer, or so I am told. The Clubman comes equipped with a Donut, it's hidden in a double secret compartment in the boot. You have to pull out the folding shelf, then the rubber mat (If you bought one), then the cover that hides the road side assistance tools and then remove the Styrofoam container that holds those tools. At that point, you will see your spare tire. (This should be the same for the Clubman S as well.) When I first found the spare donut, I thought that they were actually selling a TARDIS made to look like a MINI Cooper Clubman. There's an incredible amount of room in the boot.

45

What Daniel said is ignorant. You can change the tires to whatever will fit on the wheels of your MINI. The Clubman comes with a donut, hidden in the boot. If you can, try and find a local MINI Owner's Club, they exist all over the country. There will be at least a few really knowledgeable individuals who can explain what tires you can install and what tires to look at for specific performance parameters.

fb3, From what I've heard it's easy enough to do either of your proposals. However, I've also heard that since you have an 'S' you will have a problem getting a spare to fit in the boot's tire well. Apparently, the S requires a rim that clears the front brakes (rear brakes not a problem) and supposedly a rim that clears the front can't fit in the tire well supposedly with the tire tallness appropriate for that rim. I want to do the same as you, but a spare seems to be the blocking factor for me.

2,125

It is suggested in the manual that the spare donut should be used in the rear axle only. If the flat occurs in the front, simply swap a rear wheel to the front and place the spare in the rear. Putting spare donut in the front axle of a front drive vehicle will severely compromise its handling characteristics to an extend that it may be considered undriveable! So for "S" or non-S, it doesn't matter, and a spare donut is good alternative to using run-flats.

60

very easy, just did it, really made a difference in the ride, used the same stock rims

100

What radial tires did you get to replace run flats?

30

Because of its harsh ride with 17-inch run-flats, I fitted my 2009 Clubman S with 15-inch wheels from Tire Rack. Yes, their Sport Edition "house wheel" just clears the S front brakes. With non-run-flat tires, the ride is great, and handling still seems excellent. A mini-spare fits nicely below my trunk floor, and you can buy them for about $100 from a number of places such waymotor and detroittuned.