Why don't my doors activate my dome lights when the doors open?

Asked by gbr44 Dec 23, 2014 at 03:15 AM about the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck Crew Cab RWD

My dome lights work, but the doors when opened will not operate these lights.

835

Make sure your dome lights switch is set on door, it could just set for off.

It could be a short or bad switch. Check to make sure the switch on the dash that controls the light brightness is not cut off.

2,130

In my chevy Tahoe the fix was simple.Just above the dome switch there is a flat switch,looks like the housing for the dome switch. That's the on and off control for the dome lights.look carefully you will see the light symbol on it. push in is off push out it's on. Good luck.

620

I just fixed mine it was the flat switch like the previous comment

950

Mine was the flat switch above the knob. I did not even know that was a switch

540

THANK YOU!!!! Didn't know it was a switch either,but when I pushed it , the lights came on.

1,050

None of my door turn on the lights what could that be from?

140

It worked for my front doors but not the rear?

400

Can anyone post a picture of this switch? i cant seem to find it

960

Wow! I would have never thought of that being a switch! More of a button really but still.... 08 Avalanche

130

Thanks for the discussion! My 08 Silverado has been off for ever.

410

On a 2003 Silverado my dome light for the doors don't work

70

It was the round button just left of the rotation switch... Duh...I missed it until I looked on this forum...thanks

140

"flat switch" just blew my mind. super helpful thread obviously lol

100

2011 silverado stupid switch just pushed the flat button lights have been out forever!!! Lol thanks for the help

50

It fixed mine

80

On my 99 Silverardo it's called Dome Override Switch push button in and it prevents the dome light from coming on .

90

omg it was that switch I have tried so many things and nothing I never even relized that was a button thank youuuuuuu

60

Yes , thx you all so much , it was that flat switch that you'd never even think it was a switch, it just read dome off with a light symbol and walls it came on , all I did was set it all the way to right before it clicked and turned on an pushed it in the round knob and pushed that flat switch above the round know that read some off , push it and it worked .... again thanks..

30

Thank you so much! I just got my Yukon back from the mechanic and I guess he turned the dome lights off. It was the flat switch, I didn't realize it was a button. Thanks for the help!

10

'94 Suburban new to me and the paint was worn off didn't even think of it. Toggle switch just below light switches. Thanks wish everything was that easy.

110

2012 chevy Silverado my dome switch light wont turn off what can happen

110

same thing 2007 gmc yukon that flat switch. Funny thing i turned it off for the drive in and completely forgot LOl. all good now.

2009 Silverado. Same thing. Flat switch gimmick.

10

wow would have never thought that was a switch lol fixed my lites in an instant thats for the info, worst part was my switch even said dome lits on off lol

20

I have a 06 Chevy Silverado I tried that flat switch don't work I had a new alarm put on yesterday you think that cause

20

That did it,thanks folks

Who would’ve known that was a switch thank you for this thread most helpful one I have read by far

2019 express 3500 finally have dome lights when the doors open. No mention of the flat switch button in the owners manual . Thanks folks , didn’t want to take it to the dealer for something simple.

20

I can't believe the fix was that easy. I had no idea that flat part was even a switch. Thank you to all that posted on this subject.

I never knew that was even a button...6 years later TY!

50

Unfortunately, this does not fix my problem, I have a 2008 Chevy Tahoe, 3 of the four doors the dome lights come on, but the driver side rear passenger door does not. Where is the door switch for this? I am sure the sensor or push button switch for this door does not seem to be working.

10

My 03 does have that switch but that is not the problem i have no power to rear view mirror map lights dome lights or cargo lights, I've checked all fuses and relays and grounds.door locks and windows work fine, pulling what little hair i have left out. Any help would be appreciated.

20

It's the upper flat part of the dome light switch on the left hand side of the dash, I just pushed that a couple times and now the interior dome light operate like they should with the doors being opened and the hand held key switch. Thank you so much for the great help.

50

No that turns all the door sensors on our off. Only my driver side rear door doesn't turn the lights on when that door is opened all other doors including the rear tailgate hatch work. I need to know where the door switch is for one particular door...

10

Thank you for this post. It has been driving me nuts that when I would open the door on my GMC Sierra that the dome light would not turn on. It was simply the flat switch above the dome light knob left of the steering wheel. Like several others here, I had no idea it was a switch until I read this post.

Stupid dome light!!!! I tried everything including sitting down and reading the manual! DUH! Thank you for your helpful comments.... I am NOT a blonde, just feeling stupid as if I was.