my oil pressure is 55 down by the oil filter and almost 0 at the sending unit.

Patrick Ball

Asked by Oct 01, 2014 at 04:31 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 4WD

my truck was struck by lightning on labor day and has since been at the dealership
getting repaired. it is a 2008 Chevrolet 1500 LTZ with the 5.3 in it.all electrical
components have since been repaired and when i say all i mean all. the tech fired it up
and when you give it gas the oil pressure reads 55 and when you let off it goes almost
all the way to 0. he checked the pressure down by the filter and it read 55 then checked
it by the sending unit (which is brand new) and he gets 0. they are telling me that the
cam bearings are bad and the truck just rolled over 100,000 miles labor day weekend.
does anyone have any ideas before i dump a bunch of money into this?

John Carson

Did the tech put an auxiliary pressure gauge on the sending unit? Does the sending unit read 55 PSI when revved? It does sound like the cam bearings are shot. Being hit by lightening does strange things to everything hit. It sounds more like an obstruction of something that melted with the strike. Perhaps an engine tear down, or crate engine might be in order. Get the short block if it looks like everything el\se is working.

Patrick Ball

he said he manually tested it. the truck is serviced regularly and the insurance company isnt paying for anything else because they said that lightning only effects electrical stuff when it comes to vehicles being struck by lightning. everything else is all brand new lol. im thinking of putting a 6.0l vortec max engine in it any suggestions or tips on doing so?

John Carson

There are such a thing as state insurance commissioners to file a complaint or something called and attorney to get a second opinion. In the mean time, if the engine needs a tear down, it can be done quickly. If the engine need to be torn down, a good strong rebuild can be done far less than a crate engine swap. Time for the engine tear down should be two weeks on the outside if everything is ready to go. The insurance commissioner or attorney will take months if not years. and money spent that could go into the truck. How do you expect insurance companies make money. Take the money and deny claims. Great racket.

Patrick Ball

got my second opinion and low and behold the reason for no oil pressure was that the truck only had about 2 quarts of oil in it. i called the dealership and asked about the process he used in checking the oil pressure aat the bottom of the engine and he said he had to take the oil filter off put some sort of adapter on there and put the filter back on. when asked if he added oil after removing the filter he could not give me a yes or no answer. the second shop i took it to did a full service and ran the truck for three hours and on the highway and at idle RPM it never went below 29psi. so its back up and running all it needed was oil

John Carson

Two things. File a complaint against the dealership for poor service and possibly ruining your engine. Two seek legal advice to protect your investment in the truck engine and recoup any costs due to their lack of quality control. I'd not let that shoddy work go. There is no excuse for that.

Patrick Ball

already in progress. If any one ever comes to Branson Missouri DO NOT GO TO PINEGAR CHEVROLET FOR ANYTHING!!!

John Carson

Good luck, glad it only cost some frustration and not a new engine or tear down (yet).