If an oil pressure sensor goes out, and the oil level is fine, can I still drive the truck without hurting the engine?

60

Asked by Jun 17, 2014 at 07:31 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT1 Crew Cab 4WD

Oil pressure dropped to zero. Oil is fine. No knocking noises. Sounds great!

3,420

Those trucks have bad pressure sensors. Youre probably ok. But replace the sensor just so you have a working gauge. Its easy.

60

Thank you Mark. I was told by a mechanic at a shop in Canon City, Co. today that I need to buy an intake manifold kit and leave the truck with him for at least a day. So, I don't need to purchase a special socket?

14,365

From your name, you may be a female, and as such, your getting taken by a mechanic. The sensor is removed by using a 1 and 1/16th socket ratchet wrench after pulling off the harness from the sensor. Replace the sensor and reconnect the harness. You're done. The sensor is near the rear of the engine on the top. Replacement sensors are listed from $43.00 to $19.00 on line, which may be the same at a good parts store. Find someone in another garage for a second opinion. Or do you have a father or good boyfriend or acquaintance that can do it for a beer?

Best Answer
60

Me again. I'm getting conflict answers on exactly where the oil pressure sensor is located on my truck. Some say by the oil filter and others say behind the engine. As it looks like I'm going to be changing this myself, I need all the advice I can get. I bought a 1 1/16 th deep socket for this also. Thank you in advance guys.

14,365

On line there is several articles on how to change the sensor, and they state it is on the top rear of the engine on the passenger side. type, "change oil pressure sensor on 2008 Silverado". Find a wire loom on the top of the engine and follow it. Also go on line and you will will where it is, what the loom looks like, and how to change it. Have fun, good luck. Wear mechanic gloves to protect the nail polish. Do this and your a gear head for sure. This way you can enjoy the beer yourself and not share. Plus you'll feel good.

60

I am an official gear head guys! Let me tell ya...being a 6' tall, 51yr. Old woman, it wasn't easy fitting all of me under the hood, but I "Got 'Er Done" as they say. Lol Couldn't be happier! I sincerely thank you for your help.

14,365

So it's a fix? Back top? One beer? Clean finger nails? Glad to be of assistance. Ride on. Picture of my Grandson and my first place car he helped get ready.

60

It is fixed. Back top, dirty nails, but intact. Sweet car! Congratulations on the win. Proud moment with your Grandson. Priceless! I have two Grandaughters, and although they laughed at me today and wondered how I got up into the engine compartment, they learned a valuable lesson that I hope they can keep with them through life. They can always depend on themselves.

I had same problem,I visited my box so they said i should not drive. Then i bought new oil pressure sensor and also installed electrical oil pressure gauge.for more information you can visit http://caroilpressure.com/ and pick right one part for your truck.

10

Can I drive the truck 11 hours with out hurting the engine

14,365

James, if only the gauge is reading zero, and all other tests indicate you have oil pressure, it is a gamble, but yes. I'd change the sensor and make sure it is reading correctly first. If you start out on your journey and you hear strange noises from the engine, like the valve guides are knocking, shut off the engine and tow it to the nearest repair facility. Same as if your temp gauge read other red line or no temp at all. Wouldn't you want to know how it really is doing? I started driving 50s cars that really are no match to today's cars/trucks as far as reliability and longevity, so constant reading of the gauges was a must. I never got rid of that habit. If my oil gauge or water gauge are reading off normal ranges, I want to know why. Why the 11 hour drive? Need to get it to a place you trust for repair? A local garage repair is far less expensive than replacing an entire engine and sensor about 7 hours into the drive. The gamble is yours. Make sure it is just a bad sensor. Don't forget the plastic Jesus for the dashboard of your car. That way you won't care if it rains or freezes as long as you have your plastic Jesus ....

30

I have changed my oil pressure senor 2 times in the last month. My mechanic said it might be a short somewhere. Another mechanic told me that I might need to switch out my oil pump and replace the sensor again. What do you advise I do.

14,365

I forget what the answer was that was submitted by a knowledgable GM Tech, but he said there was something in the oil pressure system that gets plugged and needs to be cleaned out. Go back a month or two and the answer is there. It's not the sensor, or pump. Sorry I thought I saved it, but can't find it. Perhaps if he is looking at this post, he'll post his advice again. It means pulling the pan off, but it will solve the issue.

Ya, there should be a screen that needs to be cleaned or replaced, my mechanic friend said your wasting your time replacing the sensor without addressing the screen also.

im having the same issue different situation my oil pressure reads 0 at idle and 22 when driving ive replaced my oil pressure sensor and still have same problem i looked for the screen underneath the switch and no screen was presence so why is my pressure still reading 0 ......side note im pretty handy around the motor but this has me puzzled my last thought was placing a oil screen in it but wasnt sure how that would help my pressure my engine isnt knocking or making any funny noises its a 2005 lq9 6.0l motor from a escalade i dropped it into an 86 monte carlo ss

30

Guru9zCNB, I went ahead and took my truck to the dealer. $200 later just for an answer they said its the plug that goes to the oil sensing unit that has to be replaced. The service guy said that the plug must of got oil in it from the first oil sending unit that was actually bad. That's why I am getting a faulty reading on my oil gauge. I didn't let them fix it cause they wanted to charge me $965. Hope this helps. If you replace the plug. Please let me know if it works