Oil pressure gauge

Asked by Dec 31, 2016 at 02:56 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab RWD

I have an 08 Silverado, I continue having trouble
with the oil filter causing the oil pressure gauge to
drop to zero pounds of pressure. At first, I replaced
the oil sending unit and the screen underneath the
unit. It didn't fix it. I checked the oil, obviously, it
was full. I finally changed the oil filter and it was an
automatic fix. However, about every two-three
months, my gauge will start to fall below 40 lbs of
pressure at idle and finally drop to zero and will
make the "stop engine immediately" light to come
on. The truck runs fine, no knocks or rattles and if I
unplug the oil pressure sensor, the truck runs fine, I
just don't have an oil pressure gauge and the check
engine light comes on. And now, the stabiltrak light
has started to flash off and on while driving and the
truck seems to act rough when I get in and out of
the gas. Anyone else having this much fun?

85,285

If this is the 5.3L I have heard of oil pressure problems with this motor, rare but do once in awhile hear of it. The solution has ben to replace the oil pump. On your next issue I suspect the wiring harness at the plugin for the Throttle Positioning Sensor, and the TPS itself. It is also referred to as Throttle Actuator Control Module also. There is a issue with the wires breaking inside the insulation at the plugin, and the TPS wiper arms start to separate. Where I bought my TPS the wiring harness plugin came with it. There should be some sort of code, anywhere from p1515 to p1519 when you scan the vehicle for codes.

85,285

Also on the oil pressure, it would be wise to check with an oil pressure gauge when it shows low oil pressure to verify that this is the problem. It is possible that the sensor or something else is faulty.

24,095

Any system or part failure that can cause a sudden engine die but actually catches itself without it cutting off will cause the gauge to fall and go back to normal even a bad engine misfire or periodical shorts.

I have a 2011 Silverado 1500 5.3 ltr V8 Z71. About 2 months ago I started to hear what sounded like a bad lifted tick. 2 weeks ago, while driving I got a message across the message board on the dash saying "low oil pressure shut off engine" and my oil pressure was at 0. I shut it off immediately. After about 20 minutes I started it back up and it was fine for about 3 miles and dis the same thing but by that time I was home. After some research on the internet it seemed to be what is a common problem, the oil pressure denser and filter. Today I changed both and after about 8 minutes of idle, I have the same problem. Looks like I'm going to change my oil and filter. If not either my sending unit or oil pump is the only other things I can think of. Hope this helps.

24,095

Sensor or Sender, may need one, but just could be worn out, motor or pump. But let me say this so you know, it takes a few minutes for the computer to learn it has no or low oil pressure before warning you to turn engine off, so this means you already know it has low or no oil pressure and to stop running engine, stop starting it back up to drive it until the warning comes back on, then repeating this or it will leave you with a blown engine, as the engine is still starved for oil pressure and this resets nothing for you oil pressure, only the time computer can get the warning on dash, all while it still has not oil pressure from the second you started it. Stop cranking it up. Pull oil pan and oil pump and replace or repair, or rebuild motor if compression is low or mains (bearings) are worn out, Oil galleries may be clogged, if so block/heads need vated/submerged in solution (soaked/cleaned).