All of Bank 1 misfiring

Seth Curtis

Asked by May 30, 2016 at 12:41 PM about the 2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac Limited 4.6L 4WD

I have an exhaust leak I have replace 3 coil pack on the passenger side, cyl. 1-4 are not firing. I know because while truck is running I unplugged all the coil packs and the idle never changes. I know this side is running lean and the drivers side 5-8 are running rich. I have no power truck will not accelerate past 45 -50 mph. not sure if timing, vct solenoid, or what.....any ideas???

Seth Curtis

1-4 are not firing at all

What codes do you have? VCTs effects the cam timing unplug it.. and check for a difference or both can be unplugged.. .NEXT CMP (cam position sensor) passenger side BANK 1 effects the injectors timing / pulse width without a decent scan tool its hard to be exact.. make sure the injectors have a signal when engine is running I like to connect and drive while recording live Data stream HEGOS, timing, fuel trim.. I understand most people don't own the gear to do this... does bank one have injector cycle noise? If so check the fuel to them, remove a plug is IT WET I SAY NO make sure the injectors are cycling and have fuel to them . BASIC start of diagnostic. Regards

Seth Curtis

ive pulled all 4 injectors on 1-4 bank they were all wet and clean

Ok now check for signal to all the COPs .. how many miles on the 4.6 any code for CPS sensor? Bank 1 or code for retarded timing?

Seth Curtis

no timing codes, I had it checked at orielly's misfires on 1-4 and 5 some times cat is clogged and 1-4 bank is lean 5-8 is rich 02 sensor code as well

Seth Curtis

it didn't make sense to me that 1-4 plugs would all go bad at the sametime, I pulled them checked and cleaned them they looked fine though, replaced 3out of 4 cops on 1-4 bank still no fire

Seth Curtis

No timing codes is a good thing VCts OK, Right all cop(s) are not going fail at the same time. If the Number 1 HEGO (up stream) is showing a code its one of the main signals for the fuel mixture to bank 1. along with the MAF and TPS controls, you should change the 02 sensor 4 wires. As a result of prolonged misfire the catalytic converter can be plugged causing back pressurize and killing power in bank one.. once again without a real scan tool the best you can do is remove the converter to test it or install a pressure gauge into the up stream 02 sensor(HEADACHE), if its plugged bad the exhaust manifold won't even quite down somewhat as the engine heats. I seen converters totally kill the power on engines with no other issues just back pressure!

Seth Curtis

so I should take the cat off? had a shop tell me the cat was plugged and I had multiple misfires after I paid 1600 for a transmission swap I have drilled holes in the exhaust right in front of the cat. I don't really care how loud it is as long as I can go to work and drive over 45 mph lol

Seth Curtis

Took my truck to the dealer for diagnostic and they say it's my intake manifold and it has melted or isn't operating properly due to heat and back pressure from the clogged catalytic converter. They want 850 bucks to replace it. I can do it myself but I can't find one online for less than 500