A/C pressure blowed off some kind of plastic cap under the hood

50

Asked by Aug 28, 2013 at 09:09 PM about the 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

A/C pressure blowed off a plastic cap shaped like an elbow tube it is located on drivers side down low, refrigerant went all over, any idea what this cap or what ever it is called could be it is about 1" to 1 1/2" in diameter? Could it be some kind of port cover? Trying to find the name so I can get a new part.

this is a filter/dryer filled with a dessicant to pull the water out of the refrigerant stream....simply replace it and get the A/C serviced with vacuum and NEW components...please~

50

Thank you so much for your answer, yes I will get the a/c serviced. The part that blowed off was shaped like an elbow and larger around shown in the order catalogs. I am trying to buy that part myself if I can find one of those things, no one can find a filter/dryer for ex 35 infiniti journey with the part # that is on the part # PPT 90.?? None of the pictures look like this part they are all a straight tube.

hmmm could be some refrigerant piping...if you posted a picture could probably tell you definatively~ filter/dryer is a typical item...this is the reason for this "boilerplate" response...perhaps I'm mistaken, but a picture is worth a thousand onions~

could it have been simply the evaporator drain....that would totally make sense~

see you're an expert now----that's how you get sucked into it~

50

I saw some like this on parts places, but it does not look like this part that broke off, the part that is left in the car, is just a plastic round tube about 6" long the broke part shaped similar to an elbow smaller at one end with a type of a cap like thing that could be a locking thin part on top and the other end is kind of a little larger bell shaped round except for one straight side. Puzzle to me. You did get me personal mail, good I liked everyone.

okay Christene, sounds like the fluid that came out of this pipe was NOT refrigerant....but the evaporator drain that pokes down out the lowest part and through the firewall and drains the outside....insects, spiders and climb up into this tube and block it off causing water leaking onto your floor...that piece you are looking at is an elbow for the drain off of your evaporator (in the passenger cabin)~

Argon Gas (R-134) evaporates immediately and would not pool up...no way~ what you got out of that pipe was water...just water...a bit like "old submarine" scented....but was pulled out of the air when the a/c was engaged~ normally drains off out this tube...but yours is broken/blocked...ask them to tend to the evaporator drain~ that will be the thing that puts the smile back on your face~

50

ok, but the fluid was green & a little greasy, smelled like Freon was all over under the hood none inside the car. Did not see any pools, just on part of the hood and some parts. Hope you are right.

green....etylene glyol....a breech in the heater core...or loose screw clamp....ooof on that car....a bug is so much easier~ Volvos and Geo Metro you must tear the dash ALL apart whereas some put the heat exchanger on the engine side for easy service, and simple allow the air to do it's job~ Freon is invisible...dissipates into the atmosphere very quickly~

get a pressure tester on that and see where's it leakin' at~

Best Answer
50

Ok , it will be Wednesday before anyone can look at the A/C

I have a 2012 FX35 with all the option. The car was MSRP58K. I have that smell when I turn the A/C on. I have NO idea what to do. Is anyone have any solution for this? Thanks! Mike