car will not start

Asked by Dec 25, 2013 at 04:37 AM about the 2008 Honda Civic Si

Christmas eve,get in car and wont start. It is 5degrees out,the lights went on,dome etc.
But just makes a ticking noise.i took it for oil change a few weeks prior and told them to
check battery because hasnt been starting well it wasnt holding a charge,so replaced.  
Which was still under warrenty because replaced battery a 1 1/2 prior.  From reading post
wondering if it is spark plugs,even though garage said they checked letting my
portable battery charger charge up for the night and will try jumping car,if thatll do any
good.  Ive been having fuses blow here and there.  One of my dome lights blew out as
well as one of my heat selectors.  Is the garage taking advantage of me or just
incompetant?  Tomorrow christmas day and no car....any ideas which direction to turn in.
Thanks sammyD

in single digit weather a lot of cars have a hard time starting. are there any lights on the dash? anything aftermarket? like a car stereo? batteries should last longer than 1.5 years.

Your car is a nice, newer car and it should start for you- sounds like a battery, but could be a few other things- you will need a better mechanic to help your Honda be all it can be- merry Christmas anyway- don't take it personally- it happens to all of us- the charger and warming up today might help- a Christmas miracle

Thanks and no aftermarkets items added,was getting ready to put a new automatic start on it,but trying to decide which one. Hopefully just the cold,havent had any major repairs befofe,and havent let my son get his hands on what he wants to do to it. Thanks for the responses...Merry Christmas to you too

Oh yes lights on dash will come on when turn key

First, check your battery connections. They need to be clean and tight. Check the cable connections at the starter and on the ground (-) side where the cable bolts to the chassis. Again, they need to be clean and tight. Load test the battery. Make sure the battery is fully charged. Check that you have the proper size battery in there. The cold cranking amps (CCA) stamped on the top of the battery should match what the owner's manual says under battery specs. If all this checks out and you're sure no accessories are being left on overnight, by accident, test the starter. Check the starter for amperage draw. If it's excessive then you need a new starter. HTH. -Jim

Thanks Jim... I looked over everything really we'll and found the automatic lock on passenger side was stuck. Would this really run the battery down? I would of been for 2days, since used that side. SAMMY

Hmmmmm, if for some reason it's drawing power it might. The power locks are "hot" all the time. So if the switch or actuator is shorted it might be the equivalent to say leaving the dome light on. HTH. -Jim