2008 Honda Civic AC not working

10

Asked by Jun 26, 2015 at 11:41 AM about the 2008 Honda Civic Coupe EX

I have a 2008 Honda Civic, the last couple months my ac was turning from cold air to
hot air then back to cold, now when i start the car its cold and within 10 min its back to
hot and doesnt turn cold again. I went to auto zone and bought AC Pro refrigerant, the
employee came outside n checked my freone with the gauge on the can..he said i had
too much freon. He sent me to a friend of his that would check my system for free for
me. I went to them and they said I only had 3 oz of freon in it n that it was my
compressor. Since i just got two different opinions i took it to another shop that my
daughter knew the people. They did same thing other shop did with machine..checking
for leaks putting freon in and recharging it..said no leaks and that it was low on freon
and that it was working. I left and within 10 minutes it did the same thing. They said to
bring it back and they would do a more extensive search at no charge since they
charged me earlier. Now they say that I have an evaporation leak. Both the
compressor and evaporation leak repairs are expensive. I would hate to fix one n it still
not work and have to fix the other...dont know what to do!!!! How much is either job
seperating parts n labor?

19,840

Ask the mechanic that is working on your vehicle if it could be a clogged orfice tube filter that is located in the high side line of the A.C system that is the small line.

10

The mechanic said that it is an evaporation leak becuz the freon they just put in yesterday is low again and the car has not been used...do i still ask this question?

19,840

Going by what you said one mechanic says your A.C system was over full then another one says its low and another says no leaks. I would still ask him to check it for you. Is the compressor clicking on and off when they say it's low on freon ?

10

The guy at autozone said the freon was over..the mechanic he sent me to put it on machine said freon was under.. added freon and recharged it..said no leaks n it was my compressor cuz once it shut off he had to nudge it with a stick to restart it. The second mechanic did the same thing first one did..they said freon was low and no leaks until I took it back and they removed heating system behind glove box is where they found the evaporation leak. The compressor will come on when i first turn the car on then clicks off and wont come back on.. it was for awhile about 3 weeks ago but no more..also when i brought car back to the second mechanic he said the freon they put in to fill it was low again and it was just one day without me using the car.

19,840

Ok that is a little bit more information. If he had to tap on the compressor it needs a compressor high / low pressure switch that is easy to replace it screws into the side of the accumulator and has 2 wires connected to it no need to remove freon and the leak add a can of 134a freon leak sealer from Auto Zone works great just put some in a vehicle about 2 months ago and its still working.

10

ok so you are saying that it is not an evaporation leak nor a total compressor replacement..am i correct ..... I was told evaporation leak could not be sealed

19,840

Of course they are going to tell you that it's all about the money and I am not saying that at all that it does not need any of those things but I think its worth a try to do the things I suggested first. It is either going to work or not but its worth a try.

10

thank you for your help...i dont want you to think i was being ungrateful. i am currently not working and its been so crazy with this ac issue...first i bought the can of leak sealer from auto zone..never used it cuz i was told by the autozone employee that i had too much freon n it looked like compressor was working.. then autozone guy sends me to his mechanic n tells me he can check the ac on this machine for free..i get there and the owner wasnt there so i explain what autozone guy told me thinking he called his friend the owner..these guys say my compressor is fine but the next thing i know they want to charge me $85.00 for them checking the system which i wasnt supposed to have to pay for...then owner gets there who says no charge for checking the system but now he tells me i hardly have any freon n my compressor is bad! Now im thinking one person says too much freon n compreesor is working..second set of guys say compressor is fine until the owner gets there and he tells me compressor is bad n he took all his freon out which left me with 3oz of freon since it was supposedly what i came in with.. Im assuming cuz i wasnt paying for service which i thought autozine and owner agreed on or i would never have gone there. I take it to another auto shop and have system checked recharged etc told compressor is fine charged $125.00 still didnt work went back next day n thats when they told me about heating system behind dash that had a bad evaporation whateve..its a big job.. n that they dont do that type of work...thats why i came online with questions! Ive been out of town n that is why i did not take my car to my guy! This is why I kept questioning you cuz ive been getting so many different answers n i dont have any more money to waste..again im sorry for seeming ungrateful..thanks again

19,840

No problem I understand having little to no funds that is why I try my best to help you to try and fix your problem at the best cost possible. Like i said before its either going to work or not but we did give it a try.