08 CLK convertible rear 3rd brake light dimension

485

Asked by Sep 20, 2015 at 03:33 PM about the 2008 Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class CLK 350 Cabriolet

I am about to change the rear 3rd brake light  assembly. I measured it as
approx. 12.9" long. When I tried to order it online it says 14.9" long. The
width and height also are bigger. I don't know if it is the packing box
measurements and not actual measurements of the light assembly. It says
fits 08CLK but no mention of trim. Do the coupe and convertible use same
parts? Has anybody any experience? Am I guessing right that the assembly
to be pushed in from the outside?

16,635

If you are wording it on line, is there a service number you can call? It may be their measurement are different from what you are measuring. Are you just measuring the light itself or the entire assembly, edge to edge? I'd also check if it is different for a coupe than for a convertible. I find ordering parts for older and even new cars, people putting together the parts for a certain year vehicle don't get it correct. A 2003 part is showing a 2010 part as a replacement. That is why it is best to call if your concerned. It has saved me a lot of headache. You can always get the MBZ part number and then look it up to see who carries it.

485

Thanks. I got the part and put it on today.Orig. Benz# and after market # are dift. Mercd uses several manufacturers for their parts.. There is a little trick to put it on..Assuming you have taken off the trunk liner, 1. Separate the aluminum part from the LED.Do not separate the plastic red lens from the LED,they are blended together. 2. put this in the hole first and align, then pull out the white strip and press to the hole of the body, 3.Align the aluminum through the hole in the trunk to attach to the led body with the two screws you took out from the old part. NOW the trickiest part. If you have long and artistic fingers, you could easily do it. Otherwise....... Be very careful not to slip the screws into the trunk hole. I did not. My thought---in case you do, don't panic,use a flexible magnet to get those screws out and eventually you will do it.I just turned 80(GOING ON 40S). If I can do it, you will too.I saved $250 for the whole thing today. Good luck.

485

Sorry, I forgot to tell one imp. step. it is after the 1st step. Make sure you connect the wire with it. If you did not you still can connect with a little effort..