Transferring registration

Asked by Nov 26, 2016 at 09:48 PM about the 2008 Kia Spectra SX

Question type: Car Selling & Trading In

Dear experts,

I hope you all are doing well. I have question regarding the car registration and
title fee.

Five months ago I bought a Kia Spectra from a dealer and paid the registration
and title fee close too $ 250. Now that my family has expanded and with the
arrival of our baby we are feeling the need to buy a SUV. I know it was a stupid
decision to buy a small car at the first place but now that I am going to buy an
SUV (probably used or certified) what are the chances of me using the
registration and title fee which i paid earlier ? Since I paid those two fees like 5
months ago, i was wondering if it is possible to avoid that fee when i buy my
next car in like 2 weeks. Also, if I am selling my old car to someone, does that
mean that the other person have to pay the registration fee again?, then in that
case DMV is getting the registration fee for same vehicle twice within an year.

Since I am a foreigner (Germany precisely), I am not aware of the rules here. I
live in Georgia.

Hi Jan, the way it works in the states, is the title fee is to transfer the ownership of the car to you. The registration fee is paid to the state where you reside, (GA), that's what the license plate signify's. So when you purchase a new SUV, you will pay for a new title (fee). Also a registration fee is you want a new license plate. In your case, you can transfer your existing one on your car and put it on the new SUV for a reduced cost. The buyer of your car will need to pay the DMV a registration and maybe a title fee. I don't live in GA, so you can look it up online here....

The fees apply to that vehicle only and are not transferable. When you sell a rig to someone then they have to transfer title out of your name into thier name, at that time the registration is also switched, if the vehicle has current plates then another license fee is not needed so all they have pay for is the title transfer fees. If what more information on your states fees try checking out the states DMV website.

Go to motor vehicle.there a million ways it could go depending what state you are will the have the right answer in 4 min.

We do it opposite of how it is done in Europe. Over there a car registration stays with the car for life. Over here, a car has to beregistered to it's owner, and every transfer of ownership means re-registering and re-titling the car. When you sell or buy a car in the US, the new owner will have to pay for a new title, pay sales tax on the purchase amount, and register the car with new plates.

Wow KenF, they make you get new plates too, that's a rip off. They don't in my state.

Yeah, you can't transfer plates from one owner to another. $70 for plates, $15 for title, and 8.25% sales tax on car's purchase amount.

No sales tax here, 77 bucks to transfer title and registration, if done at the DMV and still has time left on the plates tags.

You must be either from New England, Oregon, Montana or Alaska. Some states get it. Like most mine does not. Charging sales tax on a used car is infuriating. And we still have sh**** roads. If you want to see some drama, come down to our Title Bureau, and watch people melt down when they transfer a title and have to cough up several hundred or thousands of dollars just to title their car.

Tom is right. Visit Georgia's Division of Motor Vehicle (DMV) website. The laws are different in just about every State. In New Jersey, for example, you can transfer from truck/SUV to another truck/SUV or from car to another car. But you can't transfer car to truck/SUV or from truck/SUV to car. Makes no sense to me since the license plates are the same! HTH. - Jim

In some states property taxes also apply. Those are refundable on a prorated basis upon surrender of the license plate or trading the vehicle and transferring the plate(s). Not sure how it works in Georgia. You will still be responsible title and registration fees on the new purchase.