No brake lights 2008 Charger

Asked by Nov 08, 2012 at 01:27 PM about the 2008 Dodge Charger SXT

Three months ago I noticed the lights were not flashing in the rear when I set the factory alarm on my car. I blew it off until the other day a lady screamed at me for having no brake lights. I inspected and found all turn, flashers, running and reverse work fine. I replaced both brake bulbs with no difference. I checked all fuses and they were good. I did both continuity and voltage test on the fuse so it is good. I was going to replace the brake switch until I saw that there is 10 wires going to it. Without a schematic I can’t test and just on reasoning alone if I can get the car in reverse from park from stepping on the brake than the switch should be good since it is releasing the interlock solenoid on the shifter. I feel there has to be a relay that operates the brake lights but without a schematic I can’t trace and see if I’m correct.  I feel the alarm module could be bad also if brake lights are running through the alarm. Any feedback?
2008 Dodge Charger 3.5L V6

Ok, after doing some research I found that there is no relay for the brake and only the fuse. I went to dealership and purchased a brake switch part number 4671336AC for $17.59. I installed it and it solved my brakee light problem. My alarm lights still do not flash when the vehicle is armed or disarmed. For now I will take the brake lights working. It is not hard to remove. You have to remove plasic cover with the trunk button on it. To remove it, you start in the door jam remove the plastic small plastic piece that runs along the the jam by just pulling on it. It will expose a phillips screw that needs to be removed. Then you pull on the corners of the front plastic piece and the retainers will pop out of place. With thid removed you have a straight shot at the brake switch. To remove grab switch and rotate it to the left and it will unloch from the metal bracket. plug is retained by two indents that need the help of a screwdriver to remove the plug. reverse to install. FYI.......the new brake switch plunger will be longer than the one you remove so in order to install you must depress the brake petal and install new switch. Once installed pull backwards on the petal and it will adjust the ride height of the plunger to the one you took out. Still looking for help on Lights not flashing when alarm is disarmed.. Thank you!!!

Ok, to solve blinking light problem you need to take you key fob and push and hold the unlock button for five seconds but not longer than ten seconds. while still holding the unlock button press the lock button and hold for a couple seconds. Release bottons at the same time and this will change the setting on the alarm to turn back on the blinking tail lamps when you arm or dissarm the car.

First off let me say thank you tommy_burger! I have a 2008 SRT8 Dodge Charger and my brake lights went out, nothing else just the brake lights. I had a nicer person in a BMW tell me my brake lights were out though. I went down to my local auto parts store bought a new brake switch and started to put it in the hard way (I didn't take off the panels) and started to panic when I could not get the new switch in, at least until I read your post. Hence the thank you! Now I will see if I can return the favor. On my car I can set the personal options through the speedometer because it has a digital display on the lower portion. Now I don't know if this is an option or not and therefore you may not have that on your car but I thought I would bring it up just in case.

I put a new brake switch in and it still didn't fix my problem. Also noticed the car will go into reverse without pressing the brake. Could that mean I could still have a bad brake switch??? I'm like the others.. turn signals flashers, tail lights all work.. just no brake lights.

KielNadeen Brown

I had a similar problem on my 2009 Dodge Charger. I had turn signals, flashers and back up lights but no brake lights. I read a post about checking the wires that come into the trunk lid through the rubber sleeve on the passenger side, and sure enough 3 of the wires were broken. I repaired the wires and immediately my trunk light came on. I checked the brakes again and no lights. I went to O'Reileys and checked the wiring diagram for fuses and checked the brake fuse and it was blown. I replaced the fuse and the problem was solved. I am guessing the fuse blew when the wires were cut. If this is your problem check the fuses first, if you replace and it blows again or doesn't work then check your wiring.