2008 dodge charger RT misfire #4

20

Asked by Aug 11, 2014 at 11:07 PM about the 2008 Dodge Charger R/T AWD

I have a 2008 dodge charger rt awd. We keep getting a misfire code on cylinder #4. We
have changed the plugs twice, #4 coil pack, fuel injector, cleaned the throttle body,
replaced 2 mds solenoids, computer update,replaced valve seal, replaced erg valve,
dealer ran 2 bottles of cleaner through intake and the light is still on. Compression tested
good. The dealer is taking me and my wallet for a ride. I need some professional help
please.

67,465

If a cylinder is truly misfiring you'll feel it at the tail pipe. Put your hand near the tail pipe. The exhaust should be a smooth steady stream against your hand. If you feel a "putt-putt-putt-putt" it's misfiring. Sounds like you've covered all the bases. If it's not misfiring but still throwing the code, replace the PCM. HTH. -Jim

20

We just felt the flow of exhaust and it seems to be fine. The cars runs and drives fine. The dealer has said it only sends a misfire randomly and not consistent. They want to start trial and error and start with replacing lifters and cam shaft at my expense. I think I am being taken advantage of at this point. What do you recommend?

67,465

If it were me, I wouldn't let them tear into the engine. How many miles are on it? Sounds to me like the PCM (computer) is at fault. A guy at work has an '07 Chevy Cobalt. Same thing. Throws a P0303 (misfire #3 cylinder) trouble code. The car will be fine for months then bam, the check engine light comes on. The car runs fine though. Just like you, it's not really misfiring. Ask the dealer or call Chrysler's Customer Service department. Find out if any TSBs (technical service bulletins) have been issued. This may be a known problem on these cars. You can try to get the PCM "flashed" (reprogrammed) and have that trouble code "burned" out of the computer's memory. For a misfire code to set the engine has to misfire at least 250 times during an ignition cycle. In other words you'd be chugging along and you'd know it. You'd definitely be able to feel it. HTH. -Jim

20

The car has 108K and there is a TSB for a computer update that we had the dealer do already. We have a claim open with dodge customer service but they have been no help. I will try a remanufactured PCM if you think that is the problem. It will cost less than the dealer opening the motor. Thanks for the help Jeff

67,465

You're welcome, Jeff. Glad to help. That's what I'd do, replace the PCM. Opening up the motor, in my opinion, is asking for trouble. -Jim

I have a 09 charger 2.7 I just put a band new engine in it. We I got it home I tried to crank it all lights come on but want start. Help