How do I remove the dashboard of a 2008 Nissan Sentra to replace the heater blower motor?

50

Asked by Dec 19, 2013 at 07:49 PM about the 2008 Nissan Sentra Base

Heater blower motor needs to be replaced...already checked the relay and the resister.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqUXhJBjT-U

2,565

Are you talking a blend door actuator? Or a blower motor? If it needs a *blower* motor itself, you normally shouldn't have to pull the dash. They are almost always on the passenger side of the car, near where the passenger puts their feet. Typically they've got one electrical connection on the end, and 3-4 small screws or bolts holding it in. Then you just remove the locking clip (C-clip or E-clip) from the original blower and remove the wheel since most new blower motors don't come with one, and slide it onto the new motor and reinstall the lock clip.

1,505

OrLackThereof, this is true most of the time. Unfortunately, in the case of the Sentra 2007-2012, you have to remove the dash.

50

Is it an involved process or relatively easy?

2,565

L_R...the dash? Or the glove box? Unfortunately, I'm not at work and I don't have access to AllData at home because they log IP Addresses accessing the site...but there's an image or two on a Google Image Search that seem to imply that the blower and resistor are behind the glovebox assembly, which would be a pretty easy job... Of course, if you're a professional as well, we both know how much bad information is out there...

1,505

Yes, the dash, if it's the bloer motor. If it's only the resistor, you don't have to remove the dash.

130

Yes i have to replace only the resistor

130

Can any body tell me where is the resistor located?

1,505

At the right of the gas pedal or under the glove box. Should look like this. . http://www.partsgeek.com/catalos /2008/nissan/sentra/climate_contro l/blower_motor_resistor.html

995

my research for 07-12 blower replacement is easy :) found this on a Nissan forum. dash removal NOT needed. Removal from lower drivers side foot area. drivers seat removal May be helpful (for more room)...but not needed. a few pointers: battery disconnection recommneded. i did not remove the drivers seat, as i had enough room to maneuver around. Pedal assembly removal....Remove the 4 nuts and 3 connectors and the pin attachemnet to master-cylinder push rod....for the pedal assembly to be removed. my 08 had a black box in the way....w 3 connectors. i disconnected them and removed the box....as it was going to be rt in my way. i also removed its aluminum mnt bracket after removing the 1 screw attaching it. i then had to remove the heater Mode motor (had 2 phillips screws retaining it). remove motor elec connector and 1 screw retaining motor. release tab above the retainer screw if needed, and rotate motor COUNTERclockwise. my 1st blower replacement...and not a bad job. id say it took me 2 hrs at most....but may only tk an hr or so if i had to do it again. HTH, Marti also, found a 4 Seasons blower motor on Ebay w free shipping for $106. no one else had it in stock or cld even get it. tore apart the original motor....had worn out brushes. no speed controller/resistor was needed for my repairs....jst the motor.

20

wileyone123 - I wish I had seen this before I removed the dash. I removed the dash and took out the old motor. It was hard to turn the old motor by hand, the new motor turns freely by hand. I started the car to verify that the fan ran -- it did not. I checked and there is no voltage at the motor. The fuse is okay. Where is the blower relay?

995

blower motor relay is located on the Back side of the passenger compartment J/B fuse/relay center....on left side of dash. i believe there are 2 relays there. Blower motor is the top 1. I believe the relay is turned on when Ignition is on.....supplying power to fuse 10 which should be a 15a fuse...which feeds the blower motor. the fan is Hot all the time....and is grounded out by the fan/speed control....which is controlled by the front air control (module?). Yep, a bit of Online research is Usually the best route when it comes to difficult jobs....giving some insight on how to cut corners n save some time.

10

wileyone123 you have actually replaced the blower motor without removing the dash on a 2008 Nissan Sentra?

995

Did U happen to Actually READ my Detailed post (#10) on here?.....as i gave specific step by step instructions on exactly How i did it.

10

Yes I did and I just wanted to make sure you actually did it this way. The guys at the garage laughed when we showed them the post of how you did it. He's outside now following your instructions, step by step.

995

Sorry, i know i was being a bit Sarcastic, but indeed, i did DO this. As posted, i found it on a Nissan forum....but the instructions were rather vague....and i didnt want to spend 5 hrs R&R things the way the Book says to do it. After Looking under the dash, i also wondered jst What i was getting myself into.....but, all was good! With the details i posted, it shouldnt take much more than an hr to do. LMK how things pan out for U/them.....and when all is said n done, U will have the last laugh them....lol As i posted, depending on the size of person doing the job, they may want to remove the drivers seat.....however, i did not....as im only 5-7, 145.

995

1 last thing, if U find any helpful hints/steps that i missed, or may help others, LMK, and i will edit/add it to the procedure i posted.

10

Wiley123 I have a question. We replaced the blower motor and the relay and it's still not working. Did you have to take it into the dealership to have them recode it or anything like that?

995

Nope! i posted All that i did and what i found. Sounds as tho U need a wiring diagram. Key on, there should bee B+ on the Yellow wire to motor. It gets it via fuses 10 and 11....which is supplied by the Blower relay. Any grounding is done by the Front air control module and the Fan control amplifier.

10

Thank you. That's what I thought. Do you know where the blower relay is located? The diagram I found has it around the left side of the steering wheel, however we are having trouble locating it.

995

Are U SURE U read the previous postings?.....like #12, which covers your Q....... "blower motor relay is located on the Back side of the passenger compartment J/B fuse/relay center....on left side of dash. i believe there are 2 relays there. Blower motor is the top 1. I believe the relay is turned on when Ignition is on.....supplying power to fuse 10 which should be a 15a fuse...which feeds the blower motor. the fan is Hot all the time....and is grounded out by the fan/speed control....which is controlled by the front air control (module?).".......

I read this and still don't understand what you mean by the back side of the passenger compartment..on left side of dash.. that would mean near the fuse compartment near the brake correct?

995

Well. it appears the wording is correct...but the punctuation may not be....and therefore confusing a bit. Let me rephrase it. the passenger compartment fuse/relay center....located on the left side of dash. On the Back side of it(not facing the door), is the blower relay....on top i believe. Now mind U, i personally have not saw this fuse/relay center.....this info was obtained from Mitchell service manuals. Blower motor replacement alone solved my issues. HTH

995

tifkay, ive been waiting to hear back how your dilemma panned out on the Nissan blower/relay?....what was the verdict?

10

wileyone123 Thank you so much for your information!!! I replaced my blower today using your directions for the most part. I even filmed the steps I used to do it. Once again, THANK YOU!!!! https://youtu.be/lACkVo2rGMs