2008 Endeavor whistling noise while decelerating

Asked by Nov 29, 2010 at 01:38 PM about the 2008 Mitsubishi Endeavor LS AWD

sounds like a faint jet engine whine/whistle. It's hardly noticeable when you first start driving, but it slowly gets louder the longer you go, in which case you can notice it pretty easily. It is MOST noticeable when you are coming to a stop and it's down shifting. With each shift down the whine goes from a higher to lower pitch.

I comute daily on the interstate and really notice it when I let off the break to slow down.  (I don't have to touch the brake for that to happen) and doesn't do it when idling.  Just after a higher rate of speed and start to slow down.  Any ideas?

10

My 2004 Endeavor is doing the exact same thing, nearly sounds like a turbo slowing down but there is no turbo on it, I am thinking vacuum hose or air intake or something it first started after a very long drive (400 miles) did you ever find out what yours was?

30

Did either of you ever figure out what was making the whistling noise?

10

I have a 2008 Mitsubishi endeavor also. I have 114000 miles on it. I had it when it only had 40,000 miles on it, never had an issue with it before but now I get the same whistling noise and it noticeable when I accelerate rapidly. Not sure what it is. Also my service Engine soon light came on, auto zone said it's multiple misfire which may cause from spark plugs (which I had changed recently) ignition coil, vacuum hose leak, bad fuel filter, or engine malfunction. With all the above it may be time for a new car. Unless a vacuum hose replacement and a fuel filter change rectifies the issue.