what can I do to my 2008 Tiburon GT to boost the horsepower?

Asked by Feb 24, 2012 at 01:22 AM about the 2008 Hyundai Tiburon GT

1,685

ram air and catback straight pipe exhaust with a good sounding muffler for a start...

85

turbo

1,685

in order to make the turbo work, a bit of head work should be done like low compression pistons for high torque thus a helpful upgrade with turbo, you need to work on suspension a bit because a weak suspension and brake system wont be able to handle a lot of horsepower...

215

First and most inespensive mods would be cold air intake (AEM, etc.) then a chip to fool the computer system into thinking its operating in an optimum air temperature to maximize HP output, then open up the exhaust system with a Borla or simular. Might make additional 20-25 HP. Larger gains would require considerable increases in cost,

25

there are a lot of turbo and supercharger kits available for this car. however i would just get an intake/headers/exhaust, theres not a whole lot more to do unless you wanted to go turbo but the 4cyl model is better if you want to turbo...supercharger is the way for the v6...check out the site newtiburon.com

265

I agree with Jb. Supercharger is better. This normally a bolt on part. If you stay in high altitudes this is better to not get turbo lag where turbo's are best run at sea level.

25

SC is better for the V6 i agree. Also wouldnt hurt to throw in some new cams as well. if you really wanna have fun... just swap the 2.7 with the 3.2l genny coupe. (itll fit.. ive checked) lol

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate all of your responses. I think I will start with a cold air intake. I would love to put a supercharger on also. Wynand mentioned that turbos run best at sea level. How about the supercharger, is it affected at sea level, because I live in Torrance CA. and I am not really a big fan of turbo. Unless of coarse it's a Porsche. Does anyone know of some web sites to check prices of supercharger kits?

265

Ogred, Not really. Turbo engines work off the exhaust gases where superchargers just forces huge amounts of air into your car's engine. At sea level the air is more dense than at higher altitudes. that's why turbos give a noticeable delay in their power delivery that is also known as turbo lag. Where superchargers work in both high and low altitudes. If that explanation makes sense?

Actually a supercharge work off the pressure of your exhaust using a supercharger actually rob your car of horsepower because it needs part of your Car's horsepower to start up. The turbocharger just supply air to your engine it just take time for it spool up and you may have to change your fuel delivery system and ignition due to increased boost pressure in the cylinder because the more boost you run the more resistance you have going from the spark plug to electrode. Also the fuel delivery system because if not enough gas getting to the cylinder you can have preignition/detonation which would end your engine.