Want to buy a new FIt but worried about winter driving...

25

Asked by Mar 11, 2008 at 02:03 PM about the 2008 Honda Fit Sport AT

I currently drive an 04 Hyundai Elantra which is very good in the ice and snow of Iowa. I am looking at the Fit but the only assurance I can get from the Salesman is "hey, it's a Honda if you don't like it you can trade it in." I would really like to know how the 08 Fit does in winter driving.

6,595

For the salesman to say that is not to smart, I know I would take it that the car itself is not that good. But if you go to car-survey.com you can read what other owners have to say about the car. As a side note I live in Ontario Canada and we have a a "good" winter this year, I have not noticed to many (if any at all) driveing around this late in the winter, at the start there was quite a bite of them, but not much now

40,915

I have an '08 Dodge Caliber, front wheel drive like the Fit, and about the same size. It does fine in the winter. I was looking at the Fit but the Caliber was less expensive and a bit roomier, so I went with it. I would not be afraid of driving the fit in the winter.

105

Don't worry about driving it in the winter. my boss owns one and she drove it just fine. and we work at UPS so you have to show. she just got some real good hakkapeliitta with studs and she was fine she got though some stuff that my truck had trouble in. she never was late. and we live in central vermont so don't worry it just about how you drive and what kind of tires you got. i liked hers so much im getting on in about 2 weeks.

75

My dads Fit drives fine in the snow. Could possibly use better tires but overall it is good in the snow. I am not too sure about how its automatic transmission will do, but the manual helps a lot to keep speed reasonable.

875

Another from ontario here... Personally, I can't see driving that little roller skate in the snow, but I have a friend who has one, she is a relatively new driver, and (Knock on Dashboard...) she hasn't killed herself yet... her's is automatic.

15

I'm in Oklahoma, so our snow and ice is light and rare. We compensate for that fact by having a lot of really stupid drivers who can't drive on the junk! When driving in snow and ice, I'm less concerned about hitting ice, and more concerned with idiot drivers hitting me. After the first ice day, I replaced the factory tires after slipping around a bit. To be fair, though, they were getting a little (okay, a lot) worn out. I bought some higher end tires and have done just fine on the whopping two additional "snow" days we've had since then.

245

I am a honda tech. I own a 08 fit and have drivin the 09. Its great in the snow have no complaints, please note I live in Canada and have snow tires on it.

245

Buy the fit you cant lose the car is fantastic....

65

i have an 07 honda fit, and I live in the mountains of quebec canada, and the fit is one of the best FWD I've driven in the snow so far! of course I have winter tires and studs! but the lack of power aids the traction!

35

I bought my Fit new in 2008, and have been through one winter with it. My advice is nothing is good on ice. If there is ice and you or someone you love is not going to the emergency room STAY HOME! Now if there is a bit of snow on the road then the Fit is as good as any other small FWD car. It all depends on the tires at that point. If you have good tires on it then it will be a great snow car. I would recommend a manual transmission as well.

15

I drove my Fit during last year's rare Pacific NW storms. It performed well with chains. I invested in the best chains, which I would recommend. The only thing that held me up was the lack of ground clearance, as the ruts and holes from the manhole covers were quite deep. I was always hoping I wouldn't chew up the factory body kit. I'd stay away from the Fit, though. Ever since I bought mine in '08, I've regretted it. Mechanically it's great, but factory workmanship has suffered over the years. There are creaks and rattles in the dash and the paint chips and scratches just looking at the car sideways. I wish I'd bought something else, like maybe a Mazda3s hatchback, which is a class above and could be had for the same price. Anyone want to buy an '08 Vivid Blue Pearl Fit with 8.5k miles? Please (so I can buy an old Westfalia camper and an old Miata to build into a racer)?

165

I own a '07 Fit Sport. My wife bought it in Los Angeles, so of course it came with California summer tires. It went through this last winter in Minnesota pretty good. Lots of wheel spin from a dead stop, but the traction control does a pretty good job. If you are careful and understand you have small wheels working through all that snow, you should do pretty well.