Spare Tire Help PLEASE!

Asked by Jan 20, 2014 at 04:18 PM about the 2008 Saturn Astra XE

So I'm pretty much going through the worst car ordeal of my life. Recently, I drove from
Chapel Hill, NC to Orangeburg, SC which is about 265 miles. Upon arrival, I ran over
the curb near a railroad track and not only got a flat tire, but messed up the rim/wheel
so apparently even if I get a new tire or fix the old tire, it will not stay inflated. The
spare tire was put on, and despite the warning to go no more than 50 mph, I drove the
265 miles back to NC. I immediately went to the mechanic who said that it would take
about 1 week for a new rim to come in. The problem is, I need to return to Orangeburg,
SC in the next day to attend a dear friend's funeral. I know that it is a terrible idea to
drive on the spare as I have already pushed my luck with the first trip, but I don't see
any other option. I have in the past driven on a bent rim and I just had to continue to
put air in it every so often so I'm thinking it might be the same issue, but of course no
sane mechanic would fix the tire and put it back on for me with the messed up rim and
I have no way of doing any of that myself. The only thing I can think of is maybe
finding a new spare, but I have no idea where to do that. To top it off, I drive a Saturn
(which is no longer produced) and a model that was only made for one year so parts
are impossible to find. I know it's a hopeless situation, but I thought maybe someone
who knew something about cars could give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

237,995

I would not push my luck, those tires are for short distances and under 40mph. Just enough to get you to a mechanic. I'd personally rent a car, much cheaper than having a blowout and crashing into a ditch or worse.

66,225

I agree with Tom! Safety first! Have you tried the local salvage yard? Perhaps they have a good used wheel. HTH. -Jim

1,445

Good thinking about the rental. most insurance companies offerrental car coverage for like $5 more a month. ID never go without it as ive used it a dozen times. might be too late but if for some reason you do decide to drive on the spare, have them put it in the rear of car. Spares have different diameter of regular wheels. that long of a distance at those speeds coupled with driving habbits could potentially screw up transmission. you could ge after market wheels at discount of belle cheap ones that are same size as factory for probably the same price of ONE new factory wheel! look into that too.

Best Answer
1,445

I know it sucks but your late-friend would probably not want you to risk your well being to get to their funeral. have someone skype you. During the service, everyone has smart phones these days.

1,445

Im sure youve already fixed your wheel but in the future if youre looking for any other part for the astra, parts may be hard to find here in the US due to GM's incompetence as a company, BUT you can always buy parts online or ask local import parts store. the European 2008 Opel Astra H and 2008 Vauxhall Astras are the same car and 95% of the parts are identical or interchangeable. they have a few more engine options and trim packages. if you simply search on ebay for the 2008 Opel Astra youll get many many more parts than saturn astra...the Astra has been for sale Iin European countries for a long time.