I have ford edge 2008 AWD and lately I noticed strong smell of fuel in the cabin after filling the tank full. It goes off after few minutes. Also noticed a bit of fuel leak from left rear fender wheel. The mileage of the vehicle has not seen any drop.

Asked by Jun 28, 2013 at 06:55 AM about the 2008 Ford Edge Limited AWD

264,615

If you smell fuel and notice a leak, have it fixed ASAP. Fuel leaks are very dangerous, breathing in the vapors and possible fire. I'm sure you don't have the tools to fix the fuel line that is leaking, so take it to a nearest mechanic before it gets worse.

Thanks but this happens only when you fill the tank to full level..why the smell goes off after few min. Can it be case of over loading the tank with fuel.

24,045

Don't fill the tank all the way to the top of the neck- that is bad practice- gas stations are getting rid of those nozzles that you could just click on automatically and walk away unattended- they would sometimes overfill, to the top of the opening, sometimes spill over! Bad, very dangerous. You must do it by hand, squeezing all the way, the nozzle should click off when the fuel level reaches the end of the metal nozzle which is down about eight inches into your tank. At this point STOP do not keep filling! Think of it this way: you want to fill your gas tank, not the rubber hose that leads from your fuel opening down to the tank. Hoses are not tanks. They can get old, crack, come loose. They are not made of metal. Stop treating the hose like a tank. When I put gas in my car, I never "fill it up" I just put 20 bucks in so I know the hose is not being used like a tank. The only time I fill up is when I'm going on a road trip. Now, the downside to filling by hand is standing there breathing the gas fumes. This is carcinogenic, so unhealthy that no one is talking about it. This is why the more modern states and gas stations have those rubber connectors on the gas nozzles that seal the connection so fumes cannot escape into the air. If you must fill by hand from one of the old fashioned nozzles, turn your nose into the wind so that you are breathing as little of the fumes as possible. Is this crazy? Yes- but we have been breathing this stuff for over a hundred years, and it's about time we recognized the problem and came up with new equipment. Now- if keeping your fill level low doesn't make the gas smell and leaking go away, your filler hose might be faulty- get it replaced. I wish there were classes for new drivers to teach them the proper way to gas up. It's complex, and potentially dangerous. Better yet, let's just go back to the good old days when attendants did the fueling. Somebody told me that's what they are doing now in Oregon. Is that right? Can that be true?

check with your local ford dealer this may be a recall concern,there is an active recall on several ford vehicles for this concern,hope this helps