Car wont start after putting gas in tank. How do i fix this?

440

Asked by May 18, 2014 at 08:21 PM about the 2008 Hyundai Accent SE

Every time i gas up either $5 or filling up from E I always have to turn the key and depress
the gas pedal to get it to start then rev the engine until it can run on its own if i do not rev
the engine car will cut off.  There isnt a error code that comes on either after the engine
can run on its own i can turn off the car and turn the key and the car starts as normal.  
Please help on this issue or if someone has had related problems.

92,785

That sounds like a fuel pump has gone out. What you are doing wrong is running the tank lower than 1/4 the fuel pump uses the fuel as a coolant, so if you run it below 1/4 the fuel pump is out of the fuel so it starts to overheat. Now when you do replace the fuel pump make sure you replace the strainer and the fuel filter. Put in at least 5 gallons of fuel, turn the keys on for 3 to 5 seconds then off for the same amount of time, do this at least 4 to 5 times, then start engine. Now check your throttle body, it may need cleaning.

440

why would the problem only happen when i put gas in the car and not all the time when i try to crank it?

92,785

Something else you might check is the fuel tank Evap system, it might be getting fuel in the lines while fueling, so it is flooding when you start it and reving it is clearing the lines.

440

Now that you say i have had the error come back and forth the only reason i haven't handled it is because they told me it doesn't affect the car and its performance they said something about the gas cap...

92,785

The gas cap is only part of the system, there are vacuum lines and solenoid valves, and filter screens, if raw fuel is indeed getting in that system through a stuck vent valve or a mis-routed line it can cause running problems. They mentioned gas cap cause it is the most common failure. Did they verify that it was the cap?

440

they have not replaced the cap yet but since you have stated that could be a start to my problem ill start there.

440

Also is it pretty easy to change out the light in the dash board if one of them goes out?

100

I had the same problem and it was a censor

285

Backyardguy, what sensor was it?

40

I have a hyuandai sonata 03 and have exact problem. If you think you know what it is please let me know.

285

It was no sensor for me. Super cheap fix; Purge valve. $6 part and 10 minute fix. Easy as ever to swap out. Right behind throttle body center, against firewall. Black plastic thing with two vacuum lines on it. google purge valve and you will see what I am talking about. 100% fix I promise.

40

Thanks rm4gd2018. Even my mechanic couldn't figure it out.

440

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiZnKwY38tQ This video will show you how to change it out took me 20 min finally after 2 years lol

I googled this same problem with my 2006 Kia Rio & came across this forum right here close to a month ago... I took the advice of rm4god2018 & just replaced the purge valve & its perfect now ;) Mine wasn't a $6 fix but a $50 do it yourself fix but so happy I was able to come across this forum & YouTube the fix... Big Thanks!!

I have a 2009 KIA Rio and every time I put gas in it I have to keep my foot on the gas and brake to put it in drive when I get going down the road its fine and will start any other time what would cause it to do that and how can it be fixed?

92,785

And this one still sounds like a purge valve problem as stated in the above answers. Krystal if you want to get more responses try making a new thread, this one is dated way back in May of 2014.

30

I just changed out my charcole canester and still have the same problem , I have a 2000 toyota celica

30

The purge valve is connected to the canester , so now what do I do ?

10

The vent valve is connected to the charcoal canister. You need to change the purge valve up be the throttle body

10

I have the same year and make of car doing the same thing. Found out it is the purge valve that went bad. If you disconnect the vacuum hose from the valve, it should let it stay running normal. Also with the hose disconnected from the purge valve while the car is running put your finger over the nipple of the valve, you will feel vacuum. If you do the valve is bad.

2008 hyundai elantra ran out of gas and will not start after refueling can anyone help with this problem?

92,785

If you ran it out of gas then the fuel pump is most likely fried, they don't last long once they start sucking air instead of fuel. That's why you never run a vehicle with less than 1/4 tank of fuel, it keeps the pump cool and they won't suck air at 1/4 tank.

2006 ion3 2.4l full tank gas hard too start code large leak evap