Car wont start after putting gas in tank. How do i fix this?

Asked by May 18, 2014 at 08:21 PM about the 2008 Hyundai Accent SE 2-Door Hatchback FWD

Every time i gas up either $5 or filling up from E I always have to turn the key and depress
the gas pedal to get it to start then rev the engine until it can run on its own if i do not rev
the engine car will cut off.  There isnt a error code that comes on either after the engine
can run on its own i can turn off the car and turn the key and the car starts as normal.  
Please help on this issue or if someone has had related problems.

That sounds like a fuel pump has gone out. What you are doing wrong is running the tank lower than 1/4 the fuel pump uses the fuel as a coolant, so if you run it below 1/4 the fuel pump is out of the fuel so it starts to overheat. Now when you do replace the fuel pump make sure you replace the strainer and the fuel filter. Put in at least 5 gallons of fuel, turn the keys on for 3 to 5 seconds then off for the same amount of time, do this at least 4 to 5 times, then start engine. Now check your throttle body, it may need cleaning.

why would the problem only happen when i put gas in the car and not all the time when i try to crank it?

Something else you might check is the fuel tank Evap system, it might be getting fuel in the lines while fueling, so it is flooding when you start it and reving it is clearing the lines.

Now that you say i have had the error come back and forth the only reason i haven't handled it is because they told me it doesn't affect the car and its performance they said something about the gas cap...

The gas cap is only part of the system, there are vacuum lines and solenoid valves, and filter screens, if raw fuel is indeed getting in that system through a stuck vent valve or a mis-routed line it can cause running problems. They mentioned gas cap cause it is the most common failure. Did they verify that it was the cap?

they have not replaced the cap yet but since you have stated that could be a start to my problem ill start there.

Also is it pretty easy to change out the light in the dash board if one of them goes out?

I had the same problem and it was a censor

Backyardguy, what sensor was it?

I have a hyuandai sonata 03 and have exact problem. If you think you know what it is please let me know.

It was no sensor for me. Super cheap fix; Purge valve. $6 part and 10 minute fix. Easy as ever to swap out. Right behind throttle body center, against firewall. Black plastic thing with two vacuum lines on it. google purge valve and you will see what I am talking about. 100% fix I promise.

Thanks rm4gd2018. Even my mechanic couldn't figure it out.

520 This video will show you how to change it out took me 20 min finally after 2 years lol

I googled this same problem with my 2006 Kia Rio & came across this forum right here close to a month ago... I took the advice of rm4god2018 & just replaced the purge valve & its perfect now ;) Mine wasn't a $6 fix but a $50 do it yourself fix but so happy I was able to come across this forum & YouTube the fix... Big Thanks!!

I have a 2009 KIA Rio and every time I put gas in it I have to keep my foot on the gas and brake to put it in drive when I get going down the road its fine and will start any other time what would cause it to do that and how can it be fixed?

And this one still sounds like a purge valve problem as stated in the above answers. Krystal if you want to get more responses try making a new thread, this one is dated way back in May of 2014.

I just changed out my charcole canester and still have the same problem , I have a 2000 toyota celica

The purge valve is connected to the canester , so now what do I do ?

The vent valve is connected to the charcoal canister. You need to change the purge valve up be the throttle body

I have the same year and make of car doing the same thing. Found out it is the purge valve that went bad. If you disconnect the vacuum hose from the valve, it should let it stay running normal. Also with the hose disconnected from the purge valve while the car is running put your finger over the nipple of the valve, you will feel vacuum. If you do the valve is bad.

2008 hyundai elantra ran out of gas and will not start after refueling can anyone help with this problem?

If you ran it out of gas then the fuel pump is most likely fried, they don't last long once they start sucking air instead of fuel. That's why you never run a vehicle with less than 1/4 tank of fuel, it keeps the pump cool and they won't suck air at 1/4 tank.

2006 ion3 2.4l full tank gas hard too start code large leak evap

Do all vehicles do this or am I seeing a pattern with these Korean made Hyundais? My 2007 Santa Fe is doing the same thing. Purg valve is waaay cheaper than a fuel pump replacement so I’ll start at the purg valve. Thanks rm4god2018

Sooner or later you will get a leak in the fuel vapor system, sometimes it's just a fuel cap other times it can be anything from a cracked line to purge control system. Here in Oregon it's not quite as prevalent cause the fueling stations are not allowed to top off the fuel tanks, so raw fuel is not as likely to be introduced into the vapor control system. But your right it seems that Hyundia, Mitsubushi and Kia have more vapor control issues than other makes.

2016 hyundai elantra won't start after running out of gas. It's possible very small amount of water in gas can. Help??

Nope, if you ran it out or gas most likely the fuel pump is burned up, do you hear the pump run briefly just after you initially turn on the key? If not that’s most likely the problem. Sometimes you can thump on the bottom of the fuel tank while cranking the engine, with 5 gallons of fuel it may fire up but do not shut it off until you get where you going to have it repaired. Good luck

I have a 2011 Hyundai Accent with 83000 miles, just got it last week. Filled it with gas twice and both times (once was out of fuel, once was half tank) it wouldn’t start after, got a jump, still reluctant to start but finally did. Today I put gas it in and revved the engine while attempting to start and it worked, so it sounds like the fuel pump or the purge valve. I’m going to start with the purge valve ($15 new) and move to the fuel pump after and will update with difficulty and how it works afterwards. I did also take off the gas cap prior to filling up this time and replaced it to see if that was the problem but the car started no problem so I don’t think the cap is related at least with my car.