A water noise

Asked by Feb 19, 2010 at 03:04 PM about the 2008 Pontiac G6 GT

When I start my car I hear a bubbling noise.  This is concerning seeing how I just bought the vehicle. What could that be?

55

i have the same problem...i have yet to figure out what it is.

What was the problem ? Is it fixed ?

8,895

is it cold, or as it warms, often heard is the coolant system: needing to be "burped", if you have no signs of overheating, or low coolant not to worry.although it can just be a loud heater core (in the dash, sounds like behind the glove box), where does it sound as if it is originating? how soon after start?

10

I have the same issue. Usually notice it when I first take off. The sound comes from the dash area. Though I believe I also hear it at other times as well.

Yea I had a blown head , but I had overheat as well , it's fixed but now they manages to bust my o2 sensor when they fixed my head ,grrr took them two weeks to fix but it's no easy one hour job either

10

I haven't had any issues with overheating yet, but my coolant was filled the other day and seems to be low already. Should I look for a place to pressure test the coolant system?

Yup and check that dipstick not just for the oil and collect mixture but if your oil mark seems to be staying up and keeps going up ur got it , now please keep in mind that u don't always see the gunk on the cap and sometimes he oil appears to be looking normal , sometimes it lighter than Choc milk appearance , I had a head gasket totally fool me , yup it was it I was losing coolant as well if u just filled it and its low , look Into this unless u have a visible leak on the ground that coolant is going somewhere

This too I didn't have overheat until two hours into driving , I had one mechanic tell me no way not a blown head I had no symptoms at beginning except overheat , luckily this bad girl was under warranty , I was in denial for 3 months over that head gasket because I didn't have wat symptoms other people had , yup sure enough it was the head gasket luckily it wasn't cracked head itself but I had to have it shaved down cylinder #3 misfire

20

My 07 G6 was doing the same thing with the water noise and now I'm losing water, over heated once on the away gone from work and now have what looks almost like bubbles in the oil but my grandfather says its actually water. ... not milky but still happening--.. just outside warranty and told you need special tools to do this so basically its a dealer repair. .. true and if so how much am I looking at paying to get replaced???

100,065

Call around to your local shops for estimates. Prices vary. -- To check for water in your oil, set the end of the dipstick on fire. If it pops and sizzles, it has water in it.

20

Thanks ill try that.. calling around tomorrow

Well if u have to get a head gasket replaced consider getting rid if the car even if u just got it it's a very precise job and the Cost is outrageous , unless you know somebody or urself to repair it I would not consider a dealer or garage to fix , u getting into huge money , not worth it

Chances of u not getting another leak even after the repair are slim , down the road u may same problem

It's costly repair if a dealership does it or even your favorite machanic. Cheaper if you do it obviously the bigger question is if you repair it do up do it correctly ?? It's time consuming and u need your head looked at by machine shop , I. Getting rid of mine come summer before winter again , reason is I believe the head is not gonna last , bullshit dealer did it under warranty. U really think they took their time and did it right ?? Not me I think they took the cheap way out to say goodbye to me , hahahahaha smart anyhow

430

What you hear is air in the coolant system circulating through the heater core. The real question is "why is there air in the system?" The level is low due to: a bad head gasket (pushes air into the system), a rad flush that did not get properly refilled, or an overheated condition that pushed coolant out. If the system is filled to the right level, and stays there, you will not hear any "gurgling"

10

My issue was thankfully just a leaky coolant reservoir that I replaced. Knock on wood! I've been going strong since my last post here.

10

I'm hearing same issue on '08 V6 SE G6. Coolant was low (haven't figured out why yet). Discovered low coolant because heater was only heating when on the accelerator. At idle, fan was blowing cold air (February in Michigan). Filling up coolant to cold line, while cold, fixed the heat issue. Coolant level was about to bottom of bottle; not near a gallon low, but apparently low enough. Gurgling sound still happens though. Think it just needs time to get rid of the bubbles now that it's full again or more intervention required?

430

Make sure its filled to the COLD or HOT line, depending on condition when checked. IT should bleed itself and gurggling shouold stop. I would be more concerned about the reason it was low. You have a leak somewhere, internal or external.

15

You may need to burp the coolant system.