MY TRAILBLAZER HAS A TICKING NOISE COMING FROM THE ENGINE

Asked by Aug 03, 2012 at 11:33 AM about the 2008 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT1 4WD

70,325

If it follows engine speed it's probably a valve tap. This happens when you get wear in the valve train. Usually from a partially collapsed hydraulic lifter. Actually it's nothing to worry about. Just an annoyance. HTH. -Jim

2,605

You could try to put a small can of marvel mystery oil in your engine oil and run it for a complete oil change cycle. Should the hydraulic lifter be getting clogged up, this will slowly dissolve the carbon build up and restore it to full functionality. I would not advise just driving it till it breaks, it could cause engine damage. The marvel mystery oil can be purchased at any local parts store for around 3 to 4 bucks. This wonderful product will also clean your fuel system. Lucas brand also offers oil and fuel system treatments but I have use marval mystery oil for years.

10

Sea Foam brand additive stops the factory ticking that almost all Mazda's make. It is a cleaner and does something else that I can not explain, but my engine went from (needs a rebuild) to (sounds like a new engine). I don't add and drain, that is a waste of good oil. I just add 1/2 can and leave it in. It seems to evaporate out after about 2 months, then I add 1/4 can. No more tapping. I've been doing this for about 2 years. I was just about to sell it. It is a 1996 Mazda MVP 6 cyl., 125k

These motors accumulate air in the lifters and will produce lifter noise, THE FIX ! have engine at operating temp, start engine bring rpm up to 1500 rpms and hold there for 1-2 min. if noise still there increase rpm to 2000 for 1-2 min. this will remove the air and noise will stop. This motor in known for this issue and this is the fix 99% of the time.

to continue on the above answer. if noise has not went away increase the rpms to 3000 for 1-2 min. if still there? shut engine off wait 1 min. then start engine noise should be gone, if not then repeat the above. It may take a couple times to get all the air out. NOTE..... This procedure is for engines that were fine when last run and after sitting for 1 to? days when started sounded like lifter noise (ticking) to all out knocking. if this started when driving and engine running? I would consult a mechanic, or try the above first then mechanic.... I have done this many times in my shop, and have saved customers 1000s of dollars in unnecessary repairs . I would also say to check out a product called (Cerma Oil) as it will help to protect your engine.