What Repair is Needed?

Asked by May 19, 2016 at 05:12 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

Car will not Start.

The car is turning over but will not start. I have ruled out several things. It's not the alternator, or the battery, and it is getting fuel. I have been all over the wiring harness and found no wires crossed. Any ideas? About 4 days before I lost engine power while driving. On the dash the message said ENGINE PER REDUCED SERVICE TRACTION. I shut the car off twice and turned it back on with the same message on the dash. It wouldn't go over 45mph and was shaking when I parked it. After I let it sit for a couple hrs and tried to start it, it would not start or turn over, with the msg ENGINE DISABLED. I disconnected the battery and when reconnected it started and drove fine without any msg. on the dash for about 3 trips then after I parked it after the 3rd trip it would not start. It turns over but isn't starting. There are no messages on the dash. What is the problem? Do one instance have to do with the other?

12,605

Puts engine into what is called limp mode.The traction control comes on and retards the timing have it scanned for the stored codes in the computer '05 '06 Cobalts are can be a NIGHTMARE..last year 2011!

4,055

And quit trying to drive it. It's gone into Limp/Disabled mode for a reason. Those are features built into the car to prevent engine damage when something is seriously wrong. As has been said, have it scanned. That will likely identify the problem. Shouldn't be a big deal.