Why Won't My 2008 Cobalt Start?

Asked by Sep 10, 2015 at 06:38 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LT2 Coupe

My vehicle was working just fine earlier today. I drove to work this morning and even drove to lunch. When I left work it stopped working. When I put the key in the doors they unlock. Get in put the key in the ignition, radio pops on. Turn the key, engine light and and car lock symbol come on and I hear a ticking if I keep it unlocked. What's going on?

5

battery

My battery is fine. Recently replaced. And as I said I can do all the basic functions except get the car to turn on. If I just insert the key and do not try to start it I can roll my windows, locks my doors, turn on my headlights, and even listen to the radio for fifteen minutes while waiting ofr a coworker to take me home.

Starter..

3,865

Check your connections at the battery to make sure they are tight. Most electrical systems on a car draw very little current compared to the starter which draws a lot and will still work even with marginal battery connections. After that try boosting the car. If it starts its not the starter. If not then it might be. Have it tested first though before spending money on a new one.