2008 Cobalt automatic transmission. It will not go forward when it is put in drive. It only goes in reverse.

Asked by Feb 15, 2014 at 04:01 PM about the 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe FWD

22,325

assuming fluid is up, if no stick to check there's a plug to unscrew top of transaxle ,fluid visible. other than that possible harness connectors, or solenoid malfunction, or trans control module., if slipping was .prevalent for a while, assume a rebuild in order, they only slip a few miles,clutch facings are only 1/8" thick at best when new

17,865

Check the linkage to make sure it is working properly. If so is there enough fluid in the transmission? Does the transmission make any noise? You may have a bad pump or other internal damage if it is not linkage or fluid issues. Do you have oil on the spot you park you car? Is the fluid red? If so it is transmission oil. Has you transmission been exposed to climbing snow banks? You may have bent the linkage or damaged the linkage somehow.

80

I had a car come into my shop with the same problem. I took down the trans pan and filter, there are 4 steel tube that run across , you cant miss them. One was broke at the flange, It looked good but as I gave them all a little pull one was broken away from the flange . I put new lines in and works great

17,865

rdaurtortech, thanks for the input. I'll be the first to admit auto trans stump me as I only took one apart and got lost. Too many moving parts and I'm not into magic and moving mirrors. It sounds like his tranny either is out of fluid, linkage issues, or needs to be opened up and looked at by a pro. Keep you input here, as we all can learn from each other.

I had the same problem on my 2008 chevrolet cobalt, no foward drive or H-L gear but reverse was working. The problem was the oil feed transmission tubes( 2 or them were cracked.

17,865

Vincent. hanks for the information. I had a Buick in the 90s that the A/C manifold aluminum hoses kept breaking. I finally went to an independent A/ C repair shop. They had made their own manifold connector out of stainless steel, and it went 4 years with no issues. I had gone through over a dozen under a two year warranty from the cheep factory stuff. Sometimes factory replacement parts are not the best. Thanks again.