2008 Town and Country spoiler hitting roof, damaging it and breaking spoiler

20

Asked by Oct 22, 2012 at 01:17 PM about the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Touring

I have an 08 T&C and rear spoiler already broke off once while opening power lift gate. The replacement is now hitting the roof and almost broke off yesterday. How do I keep this from happening/fix the issue?

Only thing I can think of is just getting rid of it. It serves no function, aesthetic only, yeah, it might leave visible holes/marks where is is attached, but a little bondo and touch-up paint will fix that. That's just my opinion, sorry I don't have a 'fix' for ya. Good luck my friend, it just seems the physical dimensions are not going to work if it hits and it's gotta go.

Clarification: the spoiler, not the T&C has gotta go, sorry, when I read my own post it almost seemed that was what I was suggesting. The T&C is a fine vehicle.

20

This is my 3rd T&C...and my newest...and it's giving me the most problems. On the 08 touring the spoiler is what houses the washer fluid hose and center break lights, discarding it really isn't an option...I thought about using some automotive adhesive and gluing it down to mount flush on the lift gate but that won't work either in the the event that I need to replace a light bulb in the brake light. I am almost ready to get rid of the van all together...

Thank for setting me straight on all that. Renders my opinion moot. Well, I tried...

20

I have the same issue and I just reported it to Chrysler. You need to report it as well. Mine flew off while I was driving, though luckily the electrical cord was strong enough to keep it from hitting someone.. Still, it's going to get somebody killed.

20

what did Chrysler do about it?

20

They said since not enough people have reported it as a design flaw, then it is not a design flaw. I don't have the emotional capacity to throw a snit fit. Did they do anything for you?

20

I didn't even contact them. I bought a replacement online and replaced it myself...$200...I just cant use the power liftgate feature to open

10

jehanny, this has happened now to me too. It was a new one just put on by the dealership to replace another which was broken off. And it broke off about fourteen hours later, upon lifting the tail gate. Why can't you use the power liftgate feature now? Would the spoiler crack off again? Do you have to open the latchgate by hand each time? Has your own spoiler repair held up til now? Did you suffer damage to the roof of your car as well? I have. The spoiler dented it in at the pinchpoint.