engine light is on what i do in this case , thanks in advance

Asked by Jan 21, 2015 at 06:40 AM about the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring

2,095

Is the car still running fine? It could be as simple as a loose gas cap. If this is the case the light will turn off by its self in a few days. What I would do is take it to my local auto parts store and ask to use their code reader. Plug it in under the dash turn the key so you have accessory power and start the code reader. Write down all the code numbers that are displayed. At the end of reading the codes it will ask you if you want to reset codes, press yes and the engine light will go out, unless there is still a problem that needs to be addressed. Go to your computer at home and look up what the codes numbers mean. If one is loss of vapor lock all that means is the gas cap was loose. If it is more serious like a misfire (bad spark plug) than fix as soon as possable. The only time I would not drive the car at all is if the engine light is on and it is blinking, then it will do more damage if driven. Good luck.