Are there diagrams to help me to replace my ignition switch - base 2008 PT Cruiser?

20

Asked by Jul 08, 2014 at 09:08 PM about the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

I had trouble with the ignition seemingly having play in it and then becoming intermittant
starting. Finally total fail. I changed the lock cylinder, but problem repeated. At first soppy
then nothing. Dorman furnished me diagrams from a manual to help me with  the lock
cylinder replacement. I  wish I could purchase specific how to documents for specific
fixes. The Autozone store manual didn't show me anything.

1,485

Ok there is a tiny magnesium rod behind the lock cylinder that breaks. Your options are...... replace column as the single part IS NOT AVAILABLE. Or buy some small torx bits go pay a buck and take apart one or two and reassemble then you'll be ready to tackle yours. Lots of small parts and the lock also locks the shifter in park. AND all 5 parts need go in at the same time.

1,485

Not really hard just intracate

1,485

Pick n pull is your cheapest hands on school.

20

While waiting for your answer, I ordered and picked up a "switch/communicator interrupter". Tom, are you saying this won't fix the problem? It's hard for me to decipher your answer. I hate to put the new switch in and have the same problems again. Are you suggesting I go to a junk yard and practice there? You say "replace column as a single part is not available." What column are you talking about? Oh, and T_S_T, there are no you tube or diagrams out there for 2nd gen. PT's.

1,485

Remove plastic covers (upper and lower? Small torx screw driver may be needed, once covers are off on the left side of column there is a black box secured w 3 torx screws and two wire connections. Once it's removed you may find a small square of magnesium in the center of switch. If so follow earlier post and if needed I'll walk you through it.

1,485

There is a small rod connected to the back of the lock cylinder when key is rotated the rod turns activating the ignition the end of this rod twists ofF and the small part that breaks is not available. And chrysler wants to sell you a 400.00 steering column. Disecting another column is the only way around this. To aquire said part.

20

After removing the ignition switch, I saw the long, thin black metal rod. It looked undamaged, so new switch was installed. BTW the old switch was chewed up a bit where the rod enters. Anyway, everything works good now. I'm guessing that the lock cylinder wore loose causing the mag. rod to fall somewhat short of the hole. Replacing the lock cylinder helped for a little while, but the damage was done to the switch. Thank you for your interest. Do you think I should look for a better car?