When my car is ideling the car for lack of better words sputters and I am scared it is going to stall out. I also feel it dragging when I drive. Is a tune up needed only?

Asked by Nov 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM about the 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

Just two days ago I came to a stop light and while I was there the car started to sputter and I thought it was going to stall out.  I was able to put it in park and kind of ran the rpm's a little bit more so it wouldn't sputter.  When I stopped it the sputtering came back.  I added some oil because it showed I was a little low.  Today the car is dragging like it is very heavy and I am not sure what is happening.  My friend said it just needs a tune up and the only thing needs replaced is the wires and plugs.  I hear that the fuel filter should be replaced or at least checked but he said there is not one there.  I have 74,000 miles on it and the only thing I have done to is the oil change.  Anyone have any suggestions what it is and what I need to do to keep this car running?

5,970

Check for vacume leaks

this is a DOHC engine....be sure the timing chain isn't stretched up to and beyond the tensioner on that and is not so loose that it may have jumped a tooth on one of your overhead cams~ get a new chain and sprockets is my advise....can only help you for the future miles ahead~ you're probably going to find a loose chain and jumped tooth~

21,685

check engine light should show up, the dragging may be limp mode at the trans controller , will return after rough engine corrected. o2 sensor maybe !

This happened to me...when I bought my '02 a few years ago, I naturally wanted to put the best fule in the car...so I started filling up with premium. The car started sputtering and coughing at lights, and the mileage decreased. I read the manual where it said never to put more than regular gas in the car (87 octane). I went back to regular and the problem stopped after 2 tanks...