Front End noise

175

Asked by Jan 31, 2009 at 07:59 AM about the 2008 Toyota Avalon Touring

Or so it seems.

When my 2008 Avalon is cold, and I first drive off, there is a clicking / grinding sound that seems to come from the
left front corner. Much like if the CV joint was bad?

The car has 3,500 miles on it.

The noise is MUCH worst when taking off and turning left right from the start. So I start the car up, and turn hard left
under acceleration and it makes the noise.

The noise or frequency is less after about 10 - 20 minutes. If I park the car long enough for the parts / car to cool
down, it happens each time.

The car also seems to be shifting or not, much more during this time. I have on occasion been going down a very
slight incline and had the car almost stop when I let up off of the gas pedal. It's like the car is in low gear when I do
this, even if I'm going 25 - 35 MPH.

The car was in last week for this, and at that time they said they has to re-set the VCS sensor?

All pretty weird, and folks had this happen to them?

Is there something I should tell me dealer?

I'm guessing the worst that can happen is it gets worst, and the dealer can then figure out what's wrong?

I say this, because they didn't hear anything yesterday when I dropped the car off, for them to check out.

I'm thinking I'll need to leave it there over night for them to hear and maybe figure out what's wrong.

Skip

1,665

The best thing that you can do is print out your post and take it with you to the dealer. Take the car in the evening and leave it with them overnight. The technician has a much better chance of finding the problem if he can duplicate your concern. Your post is fairly detailed, and It certainly COULD be a CV joint. It sounds like one of the joints may be binding. I am not sure how the VSC (traction control) ties into this, but I suspect they could not duplicate the concern, so they looked to the most likely cause. They may suspect that a faulty traction control sensor has "tricked" the car into thinking it is in a skid situation. Seth (ASE certified Master Auto Technician)

245

Seth is exactly right.. But sounds like you can duplicate it or know how to so if you can go back up after it's sat overnight or even after a few hours an have the tech ride with you so you can show him how to duplicate this will ensure he addresses the right concern..

75

its under warranty, so bring it straight to Toyota. Like the others said make sure they have the car so they can get it to act up

160

I t could be something as simple as a seizing caliper dragging the car . Also, rotors can build up rust in hours on a damp or rainy day. The test of cv joints is that you turn the car one way and then the other and the noise will get worse as you turn but lessen as you straighten up but I have never heard of a cv joint dragging a car slower. A wheel bearing can cause dragging if it is seizing and will loosen up as it drives but once it starts usually gets worse very quickly and can be heard screaming as you drive along next to a wall at speed. I have seen calipers seizing as early as 30 or 40 thousand miles and even the lack of lubricant on the caliper pad sliders can create this problem.If the caliper is seizing the car will not upshift as easily as the load is much greater and it will also slow down very quickly in coast mode. Your gas consumption will also be affected. Look for the easy solutions first. Examine your pads and rotors as a start .