AC only blows cold when driving. The moment I stop at light or stop sign it blows warm. System has been check by professional and has correct amount of freon with no leaks.

10

Asked by Jul 31, 2015 at 02:02 PM about the 2008 Toyota Camry SE

Condenser fan turns off when vehicle
is stationary therefore I believe this is
the issue, I don't know what is
causing the fan to stop when at idle
though.

Are you really sure the fan comes on at all.....anytime? Normally, in the Camry and Avalon the fan does not run at highway speeds. The air-flow above 45-50 mph make it redundant anyway, and that air-flow alone that even makes the fan blades turn. There is no need to electrically power the fan at highway speeds. I have a feeling that it's the rpm of your engine, thus the rpm of the compressor, that is causing the A/C to not work so well at a stop. Yes, the fan should come on when car is stopped. No doubt, I am not disputing that. But even with the right amount of R134a if the compressor is not engaging or beginning to fail, just what you describe will happen,.It may be the thermostat in front of the evaporator also, the copper line. That must be clean. Check the fuse to make sure the fan works at all

100,065

The fan was never on the air passing thru the radiator while you were driving was turning the fan, its the sensor that turns on and off the fan or the fan motor is no good...

Cavity #38 in under hood PDC -- fuse box. See page 360 in your owners manual. If you don't have manual: http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM33751U/pdf/sec_04-03.pdf -- Now Brandon, if you hear a fan at idle that cycles on and off that may be the regular engine/radiator fan. The Camry and Avalon have the dual fans...Corolla does not. The fan on left, drivers side, is for the engine/radiator. The one on right, passenger side is Aux, or A/C fan for condenser. Do neither of them run? The way it is set up, you may want to opt to just get a single..bigger fan.It will bolt right in and use same sender. Why Toyota did this dual fan get-up in the first place is over my pea-brain. Do you have the I4 2.5L or V6 3.5L?

I would suggest the following. Start this vehicle up COLD. AC off. Turn the AC on max. Go out and open hood. Is the AC Compressor running? How many fans are running? Let the engine run till it is fully warmed up. How many fans are running? Is the AC compressor running. Find the sight glass in this system. Usually located on the Receiver/Dryer. Look...what do you see? Clear? Foggy? Bubbles? The next step in the Diagnosis is to plug in a Scan Tool. Most good scan tools are able to turn these fans on and off. This check determines whether or not the computer is able to do so. Now that I have made this situation more complicated....then it may be.....well...this is how the diagnosis would likely proceed via an AC specialist.

10

I had my son elevate RPMS while I looked at fans. When pressing gas pedal in park the fan turns on and AC blows cold as soon it goes back to normal idle the fan turns off.

Ok....without equipment attached e.g. etc. sounds like you are low on refrigerant. Key question. When the engine is idling and the AC blows warm...is the compressor engaged? If NOT..my guess the computer is shutting the AC off because it sees low pressure. You rev the engine up which raises the presser enough to kick the compressor on, If the compressor is engaged at idle, the fan should be running and if the system has been properly evacuated and refilled...it should function as designed.